Thread: Non-hydraulic vehicle

Non-hydraulic vehicle

I ride in a 2009 Chrysler Town & Country. It's beautiful. Electronic ignition. Side entry. Vehicle lower 6 inches to enter. The ramp is to controlled from the drivers side or the keychain.

And then I went to my brother's wedding in August in Massachusetts. I found an awesome rental car company that had one so my old man and I could fly in and drive to the wedding.

When we found the car, let's just say it did not look as nice as mine. No matter, my mission was to get to my brother's wedding.

My old man got the keys and looked for the remote to open the side door. Nothing present. He reached out and opened it. He touched the ramp thinking that it would softly open when done manually like mine. It fell fast and made a furious sound through the parking garage.

It opened correctly. :-)

He pushed me in and then it was time to figure out how to tie my chair down.

So, sidebar: When I bought my vehicle in 2011, I insisted on old school qstraints. When I lost my ability to drive in 2004, I had to ride Palm Tran for a few years. I trusted those restraints because some of the dumbest people imaginable were able to ensure my safety with qstraints. There was no way I was going to pay extra for an electronic lock down. The car rental guys apparently got this vehicle before qstraints.

Back to the story.

The restraints looked like mountain climbing equipment. I don't know. My old man was a Boy Scout and he figured it out. Safely in. Ramp up. Ready to roll.

In the course of our drive from Boston to the Cape, my old man noted that he liked the rental better than my car. It may have been older but it felt lighter and easier to drive than my vehicle.

No problems at our destination. Knowing there were no hydraulics on the ramp ensured that there were no surprise crashes. Dealing with the restraints also quickly became an automatic process.

Upon return, we left it as we found it.

So fast-forward 7 months.

I'm considering a situation where I would have my vehicle in a Third World country. Going with my current vehicle is problematic. Primarily, potential repairs. The more automatic staff you have on your car, the more failure points you have.

So my question to CC is this: what is the best course of action: remove the hydraulics? Get a used vehicle that fits the Boston rental profile? Something else?

What do I really need? The ramp and the tiedowns, right?
    Last edited by radio_buddha; 03-21-2015 at 02:08 PM.

So nothing? Thanks guys.

I think you know your own answer, simple to fix is better.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.