Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kumming walking program

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    Nowhere currently offers that, but there are places capable of it (i.e. they have the equipment and the space), if there is a client willing to pay. That's the main difference - I've never heard of a single person in the US doing 6 hours per day, 6 days a week of any kind of therapy - practically nobody could afford what it would have to cost in the US.

The person I know went to Kunming (not the Chinese army hospital, but the private hospital where any Chinese person or foreigner can pay), and they are not doing 6 hours of walking a day anymore either. Kunming hospital doesn't have the staff to offer that. Patients get half an hour of walking in the morning, half an hour of walking in the afternoon. The other 2.5 hours of each morning and afternoon session are spent doing table exercises, on the vitaglide, motomed, etc. It is not as walking-intensive as it once was.
    Really! When did this change, that is very unfortunate as something That functional and intense is likely needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Really! When did this change, that is very unfortunate as something That functional and intense is likely needed.
    My understanding was after they moved to the brand new hospital, funding was an issue. Because they received a grant for this clinical trial, funding will not be a problem and they will have the staff necessary to conduct the 6-6-6 walking program.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My understanding was after they moved to the brand new hospital, funding was an issue. Because they received a grant for this clinical trial, funding will not be a problem and they will have the staff necessary to conduct the 6-6-6 walking program.
    Jim, will that be at the private pay, open-to-the-public hospital? Or at the Army hospital that is only for Chinese citizens?

Tommy, at the Tongren/public facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Tommy, at the Tongren/public facility.
    I just read the same news in Ali's blog. That's pretty amazing.

There is substantial misunderstanding of the so-called 6-6-6 program. Unfortunately, I was the one who coined the "6-6-6" term when I saw the program about a decade ago, when they were training and encouraging patents to walk 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, for as long as 6 months.

Not every patient received 6-6-6 nor was 6-6-6 the goal of the program. Some patients did do 6-6-6 but this was limited to patients who were being treated during the months that immediately followed injury and only in those patients that recovered walking to Kunming locomotor scale (KLS) IV, which signifies ability to walk using a rolling walker with minimal assistance of somebody holding ropes from the back to prevent buckling of the knees.

Recently, as many of you know, we carried out a clinical trial in Kunming, which applied intensive walking training to people with chronic spinal cord injury after we treated them with HLA-matched umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell (UCBMC) transplants. Dr. Zhu and Dr. Liu started the study at the Army General Hospital in Kunming and followed up the patients at the Tongren Hospital, where they moved after they retired from the army.

This trial was the first major and systematic effort to train people to walk after a cell transplantation therapy in chronic spinal cord injury. To our surprise, 15 of 20 subjects in that study recovered ability to walk long distances at KLS IV or better by 6-12 months after UCBMC transplants. We don't know whether this degree of recovery would occur in patients with chronic SCI without UCBMC treatment. For this reason, Dr. Zhu proposed a clinical trial to assess this possibility to the Hong Kong SCI fund (HKSCIF), which decided to fund this trial.

On April 23-24, Dr. Zhu is convening a kickoff meeting for this trial and I will be attending this meeting. It is an important study and it should tell us approximately what percentage of people recover walking from the training alone. The subjects will be prospectively followed for at least one year. I don't know all the details of the trial inclusion and exclusion criteria. I am sure that the trial will be announced formally soon on clinicaltrial.gov or related trial website.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 03-25-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Dr. Young

Thank you for replying to this post and clarifying the parameters of the 6-6-6 program. I always wondered if they were doing this with all levels of function.

Eric

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery