Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kumming walking program

Kumming walking program

There anywhere in North America that replicates the kumming walking program? Not that I am planning any unproven treatments personally, but it seems like the most effective and appropriate thing to do after a clinical trial or experimental treatment. I'm just curious if we have anything like that here.

In the quad diaries, Ali said the Chinese hospital is providing free intensive rehab for foreign sci patients, you pay for airfare and food. It's for six months to a year, might be worth your while.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

That's pretty awesome but six months in the most polluted country in the world, not to mention furthest is unappealing. I'd rather find something here, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    In the quad diaries, Ali said the Chinese hospital is providing free intensive rehab for foreign sci patients, you pay for airfare and food. It's for six months to a year, might be worth your while.
    It's my understanding this will be a clinical trial to test the effectiveness of the walking program. If need be untethering/decompression surgery is part of it. This does not include cell injections. When I find out specifics, will post.
    Last edited by Jim; 03-20-2015 at 07:13 PM.

There are plenty of places in North America that you can get something comparable to the Kunming program (which does consist of more than just walking). The difference, of course, is that in the US or Canada its going to cost way, way, way more than it would in China.

Not Many private clinics have enough staff to hold someone up for six hours! The expensive part is very true, what else does this program entail?

Sorry tomsonite but no one in the US right now is doing 6 hours a day of standing and walking with SCI...

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Ya I would think so!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Sorry tomsonite but no one in the US right now is doing 6 hours a day of standing and walking with SCI...
    Nowhere currently offers that, but there are places capable of it (i.e. they have the equipment and the space), if there is a client willing to pay. That's the main difference - I've never heard of a single person in the US doing 6 hours per day, 6 days a week of any kind of therapy - practically nobody could afford what it would have to cost in the US.

The person I know went to Kunming (not the Chinese army hospital, but the private hospital where any Chinese person or foreigner can pay), and they are not doing 6 hours of walking a day anymore either. Kunming hospital doesn't have the staff to offer that. Patients get half an hour of walking in the morning, half an hour of walking in the afternoon. The other 2.5 hours of each morning and afternoon session are spent doing table exercises, on the vitaglide, motomed, etc. It is not as walking-intensive as it once was.
    Last edited by tomsonite; 03-22-2015 at 09:54 PM.

This sounds familiar.

About 15 years ago, Constraint Induced Movement Therapy was a promising development for people who had suffered strokes with functional loss in one arm.

The idea was to constrain the unaffected arm with a sling/wrap/ hand mitt combination for most of the patient's waking hours. Forced use of the paretic arm would result in brain cortical reintegration and and promote functional movement.

CMIT required 6 hours of one-on-one therapy, 5 days a week. I don't think US based rehabilitation programs ever adopted it as a standard treatment.

It would take a person of means who could hire and train personnel through private channels.