Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loopwheels: shock-absorbing suspension for wheelchairs

Loopwheels: shock-absorbing suspension for wheelchairs

Has anyone tried these yet? They look to be available now https://www.loopwheels.com/products/wheelchairs/

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "A spring is not a suspension." I think I'll pass.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I just saw this in the latest ASME Mechanical Engineering magazine. 70mm of travel? My footplate would be scraping pavement for sure! Love the look, though.

These are not light the rim alone without push rim or tire/tube is 4 lbs

@Katja, my brother in the bike biz sent me that article also. I've been following them a couple of years, along with SoftWheel Acrobat wheels.

I am also concerned about the amount of travel. My husband has 2 inch / 50mm of clearance under the footplate. He only weighs approximately 65 kg (143 pounds), but does not go off a lot of curbs.

The weight is also a concern. Loopwheels 24" wheels = 3.96 pounds / 1.8kg, which is double Spinergy LX 24" wheels = 1.5lb / .68kg .

Probably my biggest concern is probably not being able to use them with D's Hub locks.

For anyone interested, they can be ordered on their website and start at about GBP 695 (ex. VAT) for black, which is about Euro 877 / US $999, and run higher for different colours and options for hand rims. They appear to ship internationally.
    Last edited by elarson; 04-02-2016 at 05:46 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    They really need to hire an adventurous type SCI user to give them a really good trial/review and film it, otherwise we'll all just sit here and ponder. That is quite the financial commitment to something that could really suck for a wheelchair user.

Maybe they will send some to the Abilities Expo. I would never purchase something like this without trying first. Wouldn't the softness make it harder to push the wheelchair?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I saw it in the ASME magazine too. Lol, that magazine has really gone downhill in the last few years. I guess I'm getting old but it's just too busy. The wheel design is very neat.

I sent an e-mail with a few questions to Loopwheels, and they were very quick to reply back. Here are my questions and their answers:

Is it possible to retrofit our Surge LT rims? It appears you use Carbolife rims now, but I saw in the FAQ about Surge rims.

I’m pleased to confirm Surge LT pushrims are compatible with our wheels, slight modification is required to the fittings but we do this ourselves so they can be sent ready fitted to the wheels for you. The Curve is a new edition to our range and we’re excited about it’s release here in the UK.
    I saw on the website that there is "Up to 70mm suspension travel". My husband has 2 inch / 50mm of clearance under the footplate. He only weighs approximately 65 kg (143 pounds), but does not go off a lot of curbs. Do you think there will be a problem with clearance?

The mention of 70mm suspension travel relates to our 20” bike/trike wheels and doesn’t apply to the wheelchair wheels so there is no cause for concern. Also we recommend a minimum weight of approximately 50kg to appreciate the benefits of the loophweels so your husband’s weight fits comfortably within this. Although he doesn’t drop down many kerbs he would certainly notice the reduction in vibration. Our users tell us less effort is required to push the wheels and just how comfortable they make the ride.
    I also gave them information about D's Hub Locks, which they are currently not compatible with. After looking at Loopwheels more, I really don't see how there could be any way to make a lockring adapter compatible, but who knows. I know D's Locks has a wheel adapter for Invacare/TopEnd, Quickie and Skyway 6 and 7 Spoke Mag wheels, so maybe it would not be so much different. Does anyone happen to have a photo of D's Locks on any of those wheels that they could share? Should we decide to go further with Loopwheels, I will be contact with D's Locks about it.