Thread: 646 VS Rival

Question 646 VS Rival

I'm working on getting a new PWR W/C. After the seating eval Tues I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Quantum Rival or a Quickie 646. I would consider the Edge 2.0 or the Permobil 350 but I can find no mention of 8MPH speed packages.

The 646 has independent suspension all around & a bit more top end; the Rival is a newer design. Presumably Frog Legs will make some front spring forks for the Rival & the speed diff might not be noticeable, evening out any diffs I can see just by reading.

I will be trying out each one at home. Does anyone here have info to help me make a choice?
    Robert

live free, drive fast

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Pride Mobility does not manufacture quality chairs and I gave my now 13 year old Quickie 626 to my neighbor and it still works great. Nuf said.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

On what are you basing your statement about Pride?

What are you using now?
    Robert

live free, drive fast

Does anybody out there have one of these?
    Robert

live free, drive fast

I also have a Quickie 626 that's almost 15 years old that I'm restoring. I have a newer 646 that is like brand new that I got a great deal on off craigslist. My old 626 was working great before I took it apart, but it's the only way to really give it a deep cleaning. They are great chairs; easy to repair (in the rare event they fail), and easy to find parts for at a reasonable price. They also work well off pavement.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    When I lived in a VA care center for a couple years, there was/is a wheelchair clinic where chairs were left for repair. The VA issues chairs from many manufacturers according to the need of the vet. Over the many times I went there, 8 out of the 10 broken chairs were Pride products.

I have had a number of powerchairs since 2003. The 626, an Omegatrac (the best), Frontier X-5, Permobil C500 and a new C500.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 03-21-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Speaking to a w/c repair tech, he says if he was buying a power chair for a family member, he would get a Permobil or a Quantum. Maybe their quality control has improved?
    Robert

live free, drive fast

Not sure what products he's working on but I'd steer clear of pride .. Quickie is my first choice followed by Permobil. Not because I feel quickie is superior but because ease of repairs/maintenance and ability to reprogram them ... I have about 6 quickies from the p220/222 series and the s-636/646 series and I prefer them ...

I understand about the repair issue but on the reprogramming: On the Quantums I've had, it was a matter of obtaining a programmer unit & just working thru the menus. Is it different for Quickies?
    Robert

live free, drive fast

I am interested to see what others see as "the best chair." I have been approved for a BounderPlus Off Road wheelchair. I could have gotten this chair months ago but have put it on the back burner as I had more pressing physical issues that need taken care of. I am lucky to be in a position to get this chair. Now that it is put up or shut up time I am having 2nd thoughts as to whether I really need this or if it was a macho thing. I do like to go with my brothers to the woods fishing and hunting plus I live in a rural area and most of my time is spent in the dirt. But as an everyday WC it is a bit much. It is to wide for my WC lift. At 6' I already hit my head on an older Ford F150 raised roof van and the H-frame ORP is higher. I have a 16" wide x !8 depth. My current chair is a BounderPlus Classic. It is 12yo. If I get the Off Road Package I will rebuild the Classic and use for an everyday chair. Not much needed for a rebuild as it has never been back to the shop. New batteries, belts, and bearings and its good to go another 5-10 years. I am 57 and been a c5 quad since April 1, 1977.
    What would you guys/girls do? Some body has worked hard at getting me in position to get this chair. I don't want to disappoint. Friend is back from vacation April 2 and wants to get this started when he gets back. Any thoughts? Donnie in Florida