Thread: Catheter option

Catheter option

Hi all
    I am a c5 quad 12 years post sci. For the last 12 years I have used two kinds catheter 1. External 2. Indwelling
    Currently I am thinking about changing to superapubic because of the fact that using only external catheter without using intermittent catheter for completing emptying of bladder is dangerous option.
    Looking at my case who cannot use intermittent catheter, which catheter is the best option.
    1. External catheter.
    2. Indwelling catheter
    3. Superapubic catheter.
    Thanks

You should have urodynamic study to determine your pressure. If you do not have high pressuresand are emptying well enough then the external catheter can be used. If not, the iindwelling catheter should be used. If the indwelling catheter is to be used and for preference most decide t change to the suprapubic catheter. Urodynamics will also tell you what the leak point pressure is which helps determine if it is high enough that you would most likely NOT leak through your urethra.
    CWO

Thanks CWO for the kind reply.
    What if I just want to change from external to superapubic for my own easiness and independence. Because being a quad it's not easy for to maintain external catheter.
    Recently a quad friend of mine who is 25 years post sci has changed from external to superapubic and feel very satisfied and independent with it. He said that he should have changed to superapubic 20 years ago. He is strongly recommending it to me.
    What are the positives and negatives of superapubic?

Most doctors still want Urodynamics to get the pressures. And yes, most do feel it is better.
    It is the same as the indwelling catheter- did you ever have one- but of course goes into your bladder - lower part of abdomen. Needs to be flushed occasionally ( varies) and changed minimally once a month- some change more often-every two weeks. Urology will do the first change then after that a nurse or Home care or some patients or family mmbers change it. A dressing( split) with tape is usually worn around it for a couple of months since it is a fresh surgery and might have some drainage and mild tenderness but some stop wearing any type of bandage eventually. It can drain into a leg bag or larger bag at night just like the external and indwelling catheter. The only disadvantage is if you don't need an indwelling catheter then because of the increased risk of infections ( having a constant source of organisms to go into ) most don't recommend unless you really need it but of course can be done if your preference.
    I would talk with your urologist , or one you are thinking of using to get the specifics.
    Overall a pretty minor surgery but surgery it is.
    CWO

Thanks a lot CWO.