Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tilite chair advertised weight vs actual weight-

And make sure you get a CAD of the chair before you sign-off on anything, and post all of the specs here for others to take a look at.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Fallingwithstyle [/QUOTE]
    Thank you Caifanna, good to know about the rain. Is it a gets wet must send back to manufacturer type of situation or wait until it dries off? Are we talking avoid puddles or do sprinkles kill it?[/QUOTE]

I got it soaked in a downpour and the motor shut off. The rep from SmartDrive said to just wait for it to dry off and unplug the battery source from the motor. I waited overnite and then plugged it in to the power source. It ran okay after it was recharged. However, you should try to avoid deep puddles but a gentle rain is okay for a short period of time.

However, my friend owns a SmartDrive too and he killed it because he kept using it in the rain. He ultimately had to send it back to the company. They were great about repairing it and sending it back at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    And make sure you get a CAD of the chair before you sign-off on anything, and post all of the specs here for others to take a look at.
    x3
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I have a ZRA. Love it. Not using a chair full time but the ZRA makes using a chair so much more pleasant (and I can go FAST, way faster than I was ever able to walk). With wheels, tires, side guards ect it weighs 21.4 pounds. I have slightly heavier puncture resistant tires but I have the spinergy carbon blade rims which weigh essentially nothing. Without the tires and wheels but with casters, side guards, angle adjustable back ect it weighs 13.8 pounds. Still a struggle for me to lift but I can lift it if I really need to unlike the quickie 2 lite I had (31-32 pounds and did not handle nearly as well). I would definetely reccomend a ZRA. The next chair I will get will be a ZR and save a bit of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    The thing I don't like about the Spinergy Flexrims is that they are attached, and I think you need to replace the whole wheel if something happens to the rim.
    I have a pair flexrims that are wearing down and need the rubber replaced. I called up Spinergy and I'd just ship the wheels to them and they'll replace them. Can't remember how much I was quoted maybe $200? But if you get the wheels through insurance, I believe they should cover that. I'm actually not going put the money into getting them fixed up as I prefer natural fits w/ thumb guards so I'm planning on selling my flexrims and buying a pair or sun components or spinergys with natural fits.

Also, I have both a ZRA and a TR. The ZRA is very new to me (as in I got it a few days ago) but I can let you know how I think they compare. They're both set up almost identically in terms of accessories and at this point, I don't see much of a difference in weight when pushing. The adjustability is a huge plus, especially for a first chair and if you have a condition that's constantly changing (or may change in the next five years). We've also thrown both chairs with no problem into the back of my friend's sedan and both fit on the backseat of any car.

my tilite aero z weighs a bit over 20 lbs it has a matrix solid back on it that folds down and is not removable spinergy wheels, marathon tires, and natural fit handrails with out the thumb trough, and a high profile roho quattro cushion. i also have scissor locks and side guards. i should add my chair is 20 wide 18 deep so on the larger side. as i am 226lbs. this is by far the lightest chair i have owned my other one weighed in at around 35lbs.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    my tilite aero z weighs a bit over 20 lbs it has a matrix solid back on it that folds down and is not removable spinergy wheels, marathon tires, and natural fit handrails with out the thumb trough, and a high profile roho quattro cushion. i also have scissor locks and side guards. i should add my chair is 20 wide 18 deep so on the larger side. as i am 226lbs. this is by far the lightest chair i have owned my other one weighed in at around 35lbs.
    I don't know that weight seems way off. I have a 17x16 Aero T with spinergy LX's, marathons, and surge LT's. It has a low profile Roho and a 16x9 matrx mx1. Mine has scissor locks and side guards also. It weighs 33.1.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jscrog View Post
    I don't know that weight seems way off. I have a 17x16 Aero T with spinergy LX's, marathons, and surge LT's. It has a low profile Roho and a 16x9 matrx mx1. Mine has scissor locks and side guards also. It weighs 33.1.

Absolutely, 100%, correct. No way an Aero Z that big with those accessories weighs "a bit" over 20lbs. If by "a bit" we're talking 8-10lbs, then sure. Or, if we're talking no wheels no cushion. Or, if we're talking about what TiLite says on their marketing slicks vs what the whole chair weighs on a package scale.

By "way" of comparison (see what I did there ), stephen212's heavily customized minimal 15x16 titanium ZR, welded lock brackets, welded back rest, Carbonfiber seat, cambertube, sideguards (without mounting brackets), and non-adjustable backrest...weighs "a bit" over 20lbs (~23.5 last he shared with us). If a ZR that minimal is still pushing close to 25, then NO WAY a 20x18 Aero Z, with all the normal brackets and adjustable hardware, in Aluminum, is lighter. I'd bet my left nut that Aero Z has not been on a package scale, fully configured for use, without its rider. Or hung from a luggage scale.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    For the record, and IMO, the "weight debate" is largely overblown and mostly irrelevant to our daily pushing experience. 'Transfer weight' (chair minus rear wheels and possibly cushion) matters, to be sure, but 'curb-weight' (total rolling package minus rider) is about the least significant measure of wheelchair performance out there, within the real-world range of 25-35lbs, aka the vast majority of 'Ultra-Light' dubbed K0005/08/09 chairs out there.
    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments