Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuits Say Protein Powders Lack Protein, Ripping Off Athletes

Lawsuits Say Protein Powders Lack Protein, Ripping Off Athletes

A growing number of companies are accused of selling workout supplements spiked with cheap fillers that they?re passing off as protein. [...]

Lab tests show the breakdown of what's really inside some of these supplements. Companies whose products were tested and subsequently sued include but are not limited to: Giant Sports, MusclePharm, CVS Health, 4 Dimension Nutrition, NBTY and Inner Armour.

For instance, test results showed Giant Delicious Protein Blend made by privately held Giant Sports contains only 12 grams of the 27 grams of High Quality Protein it advertises, only 44% of the stated amount. Instead, the powdered blend is loaded with leucine, isoleucine, valine, glycine, betaine, taurine and creatine monohydrate. Moreover, glycine is not included on the label nor the ingredient list, which would make it a misbranded product and illegal to sell according to Food and Drug Administration rules. None of these substances is harmful creatine monohydrate on its own is perhaps the most popular workout supplement behind protein but neither are they what customers are paying for.

Full article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexmorr...-off-athletes/

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Thanks Scott. I have been using Body Fortress Supper Advanced Whey Protein made by NBTY which was sued back in July 2014, the article states. It's hard to trust any supplement manufacturer with all the bad news about them lately. It is pretty expensive also.

Just attempting to keep my skin and what's left of my muscles healthy.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Sure thing. There are so many supplements out there these days. I just look for clean ingredients (nothing that looks like a chemistry experiment). The good stuff is a little pricey though.

I've been using Blendfresh products since November, which have worked well so far. They have a great protein powder. PM me if you want some info, as there's not much online about them yet (they're new, backed by Blendtec - the company that makes blenders that destroy iPhones, etc).

Last edited by -scott-; 03-17-2015 at 10:52 PM.

$50 for that size according to their site. Which I wouldn't mind paying extra for since the ingredients look clean, but how does it TASTE Scott? Only thing concerning to me is the sodium level, 220mg versus 80mg (comparing to MuscleMilk).

I get it for $39 b/c I signed up with them (they do the network marketing thing). I've only used it in smoothies (typically juice + ice + a banana + other powders). It mixes in well with everything, but I've never really tasted it on its own. Never thought about doing so until now.

There are a very few company's I get products from and the ones you mentioned I can honestly say I have never herd of. Along with any in the article I do pay more but I know what im getting.(I think)

in the sup world, you get what you pay for. better supps are expensive. my faves are labrada(sponsor), bsn and optimum nutrition.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

i am convinced the same goes with generic Rx medications, i change pharmacy, they use a different generic and the results are different, extremely different, wish their was a place that could check the meds for the real breakdown.
    counterfeit supplements would also be a problem,especially the higher priced ones, all they need is to reproduce the label , they have already moved on to the next target by the time people complain and the real company investigates.
    cauda equina

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    The should add some melamine then. Protein is bad if it has too much methionine, etc.

Body can convert carbs for useful work.

Converting fat and protein is an energy intensive process which is really only good in cold climates to warm the body.

in the arctic, explorers carry 1/4 lb sticks of butter as their food/fuel. Simple and effective, perfect size and wrapped nicely. just bite off chunks to fuel the human furnace
    cauda equina