Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cancer Drug Epothilone Causes Damaged Nerve Cells In Spinal Cord Injuries To Regrow

Thumbs up Cancer Drug Epothilone Causes Damaged Nerve Cells In Spinal Cord Injuries To Regrow

http://www.science20.com/news_articl..._regrow-153980

Cancer Drug Epothilone Causes Damaged Nerve Cells In Spinal Cord Injuries To Regrow
    By News Staff | March 12th 2015 05:02 PM | Print | E-mail | Track Comments
    Tweet
    Damage to the spinal cord is often permanent because injured nerve cells fail to regenerate due to scar tissue of their long nerve fibers.

Nerve cells are wire-like conductors that transmit and receive signals in the form of electrical impulses. This function can be impaired by accidents or disease. Whether or not the affected nerves can recover largely depends on their location: for instance nerve cells in the limbs, torso and nose can regenerate to some degree and regain some or all of their function.

In contrast, the neurons in the brain and spinal cord do not have this ability. If they are damaged by accident or disease, the patient is likely to suffer long-term paralysis or other disabilities. But why is regeneration of these neurons and their long nerve fibers impeded? It is already known that inhibiting factors in newly formed scar tissue and other cellular processes block axon regrowth.

A new study shows that, in animal studies, the cancer drug epothilone reduced the formation of scar tissue in injuries to the spinal cord and stimulated growth in damaged nerve cells. Both promoted neuronal regeneration and improved the animals' motor skills.

Blog Entries
    Very interesting....

I guess the question is who will try it first...

>...years?...same ol' talk I'd imagine
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    I guess the question is who will try it first...
    I believe they're already running an Epothilone B clinical trial in ALS...
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 03-13-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Very interesting....
    I agree. It'd be interesting to just be able to repurpose a drug that has already made it through all the FDA safety trials and is on the market! It would shave off years of waiting and expenses too.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    >...years?...same ol' talk I'd imagine
    Your same ol' talk or do you mean Frank's strategy of repurposing a low dose of Epothilone?

Franks lab also worked on transparency in the cord...LINK

Franks lab was also working on repurposing Taxol. LINK
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 03-13-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Grammy always comes with details. Thank you dear.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Your same ol' talk or do you mean Frank's strategy of repurposing a low dose of Epothilone?

Franks lab also worked on transparency in the cord...LINK

Franks lab was also working on repurposing Taxol. LINK

I was just getting really weary of all the articles that are like "potential new drug to combat spinal injuries!". As a Spinal cord injured person I think thats great but I think we already have some Possibly potential therapies, I would rather see some of the already promising treatments tried faster than discovering potential therapy after potential therapy like we're still at square one ...to crudely quote another members signature from memory: "test what you have and give us what you already know"
    I could have just woke up on the wrong side of the bed though
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    I was just getting really weary of all the articles that are like "potential new drug to combat spinal injuries!". As a Spinal cord injured person I think thats great but I think we already have some Possibly potential therapies, I would rather see some of the already promising treatments tried faster than discovering potential therapy after potential therapy like we're still at square one ...to crudely quote another members signature from memory: "test what you have and give us what you already know"
    I could have just woke up on the wrong side of the bed though
    (That would then require the shutdown of the cure forum at the CareCure website). It's the only place on the forum to post the latest research and potential discovery information for the community in spite of most all the threads digressing to unrelated trash.