Thread: New Wheelchair - Insurance Pay?

New Wheelchair - Insurance Pay?

Hello,

Quick question. I tried searching first however no luck. My question is how often will insurance pay for a new wheelchair? Does it depend on your particular insurance company? I have been in my chair now for a number of years and some things have changed and I need to be refitted. Does anyone have any info that would be helpful to navigate this process?

Thank you!

Mike

Im every 2-3 years with private ins. If its a med nec they will pay.

Quote Originally Posted by mnicholson81 View Post
    hello,

quick question. I tried searching first however no luck. My question is how often will insurance pay for a new wheelchair? Does it depend on your particular insurance company? I have been in my chair now for a number of years and some things have changed and i need to be refitted. Does anyone have any info that would be helpful to navigate this process?

Thank you!

Mike
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Correct. Insurance company will dictate timeframe in which new can be purchased. May also need to go through all of whatever requirements/forms/approvals for whatever they have.

Many if not most insurances are following Medicare's policy of providing replacements every five years. You will have to contact your insurance co. to find out what their policy is regarding replacement and what hoops you have to jump through to get it.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

And even if you got a new chair yesterday. You might as well start the process for the next one today, because it takes so long.

Keep in mind sometimes it is easier to just buy it outright at a discount via various internet vendors to get exactly what you want versus whatever cheap crap the insurance thinks they can get away with.

Great info, thanks to everyone. One more question, would my doctor need to submit this to my insurance or is this something I initiate?

Quote Originally Posted by MNicholson81 View Post
    Great info, thanks to everyone. One more question, would my doctor need to submit this to my insurance or is this something I initiate?
    the DME will submit. you'll ned a very good letter of med nec.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

exactly what I was trying to say in vague fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Many if not most insurances are following Medicare's policy of providing replacements every five years. You will have to contact your insurance co. to find out what their policy is regarding replacement and what hoops you have to jump through to get it.

This is exactly what I did with titanium I am sitting on. At tie I bought TR, was told Medicare not pay titanium. I just went and paid myself. I did tell vendor better meet price I can get from Internet. They came down to price I could get on Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Keep in mind sometimes it is easier to just buy it outright at a discount via various internet vendors to get exactly what you want versus whatever cheap crap the insurance thinks they can get away with.