Thread: New Chair. Funding. Help.

New Chair. Funding. Help.

Hey Folks,

So it's time for a new chair. Here's the thing though. I have CP and I live in Canada.

Now, in Canada, unless you were injured in a motor vehicle accident all funding comes from the government. And it's very limited. They will cover a basic, clunky, non-fitting wheelchair.

Now, I have private insurance through my job and my mom's job that says they will cover up to $500 towards a new, basic wheelchair. I have also heard that it is hard to get private insurance to pay because the government will provide a wheelchair. The thing is, I have a bad shoulder and NEED an ultralight chair (I currently have a TiLite that I paid out of pocket for). Does anybody have any advice or success stories in this type of situation?

Thanks in Advance!

How is your TiLite holding up? Does it fit?

I'd rather maintain&tweek an old high quality chair than obtain a new junker. I have modified my TiLite AeroZ extensively to make it fit better. Maybe you can do the same. If you like that idea, what kinds of things would you like to do to your TiLite?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I like Chas have had the same chair for a long time. But we are gear heads. I've cut, ground, drilled, bent my stuff to make it the way I want/need.
    Medicare is now giving you chairs that are for "in doors, your house". For some reason they aren't figuring anyone can drive, go shopping, etc. Most insurance companies are following their guide lines. Which means the chair they will provide is a piece of junk.
    Gives me an idea. Think I'll start a thread to help people work the system to get a decent chair.

What province are you in?