Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Firefly vs Stricker Lipo Lomo: info/thoughts appreciated

Firefly vs Stricker Lipo Lomo: info/thoughts appreciated

Hi all,

New to the forum but you all seem like a pretty savvy lot, so hoping for some helpful feedback. I'm looking to buy an electric bike attachment (full electric) for my TiLite Aero T. Will be taking it with me in a Sprinter based motorhome that is modified for wheelchair use. I'll be traveling alone so looking for something to extend my range once I set up at a campsite or rv park. Want to take advantage of the many bike paths in State and National parks and also be able to go places without having to unhook the MH every time to drive anywhere. Taking a tow vehicle is just too much logistically for me to handle at this stage in my life. I also currently have a Smart Drive MX1+ and that's helped to save what's left of my rotator cuffs but it has its limitations in terms of negotiating varied terrain and distance travel.

So, given that context I have been looking at either the Firefly or the Stricker Lipo Lomo. The Firefly is about $2K and the Stricker runs about $5K. Clearly, I like the price point of the Firefly vs the Stricker, and their specs, at least, look similar on paper. Trying to determine what the extra $3K gets you. Info greatly appreciated. I've searched Forum threads and found a fair amount of feedback on the Firefly, mostly in urban use conditions, but little on how it functions in more rural or rustic conditions. Also, have found little feedback on the Stricker Lipo Lomo in general. I also see that Stricker makes a beefier ElectroGlide with extended range and a bigger all-terrain tire that might just be what I'm looking for, but at $6.5K that is just beyond my budget. Even $5K is pushing my budget to the max.

So, have any of you have experience with both or either of the bikes mentioned, particularly under the conditions I described? Particularly interested in feedback on the Stricker since there seems to be generally less info out there. Thanks in advance for any info you can share and my apologies for rambling on, but wanted to give your as much info as possible regarding my needs, intended uses, and research so far. Thanks, and look forward to hearing from people. Jim

What is the difference between the Stricker and the Firefly?

The Stricker's fork is a little more vertical so I think turning might be a little better, don't know. It has a 16 inch wheel instead of a 12.5 which would give the Stricker more speed, but uphill power is more important than top speed, so Firefly should win out there. The Stricker has an 11.6 amp hour battery, marginally better than the Firefly's 9 amp hour, but there are workarounds for that if wanted. Both are running on 36 volts. The Stricker uses spokes on it's 16 inch wheel, considering that there is a motor at the hub, the spokes are very short. What my experience has been with short spokes on my 16 inch hub driven e-trike has not been good. They won't stay tight. I've even lost one spoke. Firefly's 12.5 inch wheel has no wire spokes. It's a solid wheel. Lastly, and this IMO is big, Stricker uses a 250 watt motor, while Firefly has a 300 watt. With that 300 watt, you might be able to upgrade the controller and battery for even more power at less total cost than the Stricker.

Be forewarned that with both of these your cog needs to be adjusted to get weight over the front of your chair to get traction out front. You might consider using an old chair for this.
    Last edited by nonoise; 03-12-2015 at 12:59 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hi Jim,

My son has been using a Firefly for several years now - you've probably seen my positive comments about it on other threads here.

I don't have any direct experience of the Stricker, but was told by a (Stricker) distributor that the Stricker is much better build quality than the Firefly. Well that certainly wouldn't justify an additional $3k, as there is nothing wrong with the Firefly build quality in my view (I would say it is comparable maintenance-wise with a wheelchair - ie certainly not maintenance-free, but not difficult to maintain). He also said that the Stricker is speed-limited to what seemed to me to be a very low speed. So is the Firefly, but the supplier will tell you how to re-program the controller so that the speed restriction can be raised - I don't know whether Stricker will supply that same info.

As my son is fairly lightweight, he's not had many problems with traction...if he does start wheel-spinning (which only ever happens going uphill), he's adept at using one hand on his chair push-rim, with the other hand controlling the Firefly accelerator.

I'm not sure how heavy the Sticker connector part is that has to fit on your wheelchair - that may be an issue for some. The Firefly components are very light, although they can create a (minor) snag point when the Firefly is not attached.

If you are looking to go off-road (which my son does almost daily, either on grass or dirt), the biggest constraint is likely to be your normal wheelchair wheels (sinking in, causing more weight/drag on the Firefly / Stricker, causing the wheel to spin), unless you plan on using off-road tyres on your chair too.

So, for us, I wouldn't pay the additional $3k for a Stricker. But please be aware that I only have experience with my son (and some of his friends who now also have one) using a Firefly. Perhaps when he is older and heavier the Stricker may have some advantages that we are not yet aware of....

Have a great time with your motorhome etc - I'd like to hope my son does something similar in the future!

Cheers
    Gordon
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    The Stricker's fork is a little more vertical so I think turning might be a little better, don't know. It has a 16 inch wheel instead of a 12.5 which would give the Stricker more speed, but uphill power is more important than top speed, so Firefly should win out there. The Stricker has an 11.6 amp hour battery, marginally better than the Firefly's 9 amp hour, but there are workarounds for that if wanted. Both are running on 36 volts. The Stricker uses spokes on it's 16 inch wheel, considering that there is a motor at the hub, the spokes are very short. What my experience has been with short spokes on my 16 inch hub driven e-trike has not been good. They won't stay tight. I've even lost one spoke. Firefly's 12.5 inch wheel has no wire spokes. It's a solid wheel.
    Firefly turning circle is very tight (surprisingly so), so I wouldn't see much of an advantage with the Stricker on that one.

The Firefly used to use a spoked wheel (which is the version we have). And I'm fairly sure ours is bigger than 12.5" diameter. We've had no problems at all with it, so I was surprised when they changed to a solid wheel (which may affect the Firefly's top speed). But the smaller wheel may improve traction...not sure on that one....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

really cant compare the two. very different beasts. apples to oranges. I sell more strickers personally.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    really cant compare the two. very different beasts. apples to oranges. I sell more strickers personally.
    why?

For whatever it's worth, Batec is working on FDA approval to sell in the US. Their products seem superior to both Rio & Stricker.

http://batec-mobility.com/en/products

http://www.livingspinal.com/batec-mobility-s/2159.htm

those are on our radar although the fda work will likely drive the price up. another great one I put right up there with stricker is team hybrid. we are a dealer for them as well. Mark the owner is a good guy, he's also a para.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    For whatever it's worth, Batec is working on FDA approval to sell in the US. Their products seem superior to both Rio & Stricker.

http://batec-mobility.com/en/products

http://www.livingspinal.com/batec-mobility-s/2159.htm
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

the quad features are what caught my attention about Batec... smart design there.

only thing I don't like is the hill aid. big seller on stricker smart tetra unit is a chin start for throttle when stuck on hills.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    the quad features are what caught my attention about Batec... smart design there.

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com