Thread: Braun Ford Explorer

Braun Ford Explorer

Has anyone been in one yet? Have any specs? Possible list price? I'm ready to ditch the van for another Ford. My 2007 Caravan is a POS compared to my 99 Ford Superduty I had previous. Truck had 300k on it and was night and day better quality to the 115k on the van, and ~10 years older...
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Is this in production?

Coming this summer according to their website. I emailed them from a support page asking about it, I was out today and just now saw that they passed my email onto a lady with unitedaccess. Guess they don't talk to customers any more. I am going to talk to her tomorrow and see if she knows anything.

I would love to get into an explorer from my van. Not sure it is big enough for a 6way transfer base and transferring from my chair, afraid it might be a drive from your chair only option.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I'm not that interested in it. It looks like the same basic concept as the van. Rear sliding door with power fold out ramp. So I don't have that much seating in the rear. I want an SUV that doesn't affect the rear seating. I don't love the idea of driving from my chair, but I'll do it to gain 4x4 and full seating in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    I'm not that interested in it. It looks like the same basic concept as the van. Rear sliding door with power fold out ramp. So I don't have that much seating in the rear. I want an SUV that doesn't affect the rear seating. I don't love the idea of driving from my chair, but I'll do it to gain 4x4 and full seating in the rear.
    I highly doubt they can offer 4x4 on an Explorer with a dropped floor, as there's no room underneath for a driveshaft. I bet that it's only available as 4x2.

Looks cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    I wouldn't ever consider a minivan but this looks interesting. Why would you have to drive from your chair? Can't a 6-way transfer seat be installed? If not, it's a deal breaker for me.

I agree Scott, it's definitely 2wd. 4 door JK build coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    4 door JK build coming soon.
    Nice. I'm intrigued.

I'm comparing this to the suburban conversion offered by svm. I meant that you have to drive from the chair in the svm conversion. But I prefer their conversion because it offers 4x4 and the rear seats aren't affected.

I got a response straight from Braun today, so I am now not sure how the unitedaccess woman got my info, don't want to bad talk someone if not warranted.

Here is the email I sent to them with my questions:

MESSAGE: I have an '05 T&C Entervan that I bought new, it has served me well, but thinking it's time to upgrade. I am not ready to talk to the 3 dealers around me yet, just investigating. So hopefully y'all will answer a few questions for me. I am a para and transfer to driver seat on 6way base.

The new Explorer excites the hell out of me, but I am afraid that it probably isn't big enough for my setup. Is it possible to use a 6way base and transfer, or is it too tight and only works for driving from my chair? And what is the ramp angle on it?

Switching to vans:

I'm getting older, so ramp angle is becoming more of an issue. Though I'm only 5'10" originally, the "XT" Models interest me because they have the lowest ramp angles in your lineup according to your website. But, how is the extra height accomplished, floor lowered 4 more inches? Did you add a lift kit to keep ground clearance? Any other changes?

My T&C has a rough ride and is noisy, my next vehicle will be a smoother ride and quieter, whatever I wind up with. I am hoping that the industry has made great strides in these departments in 10 years.

HERE IS THEIR EMAIL RESPONSE:

Thank you for your inquiry requesting more information about purchasing a new vehicle.

The Explorer is truly an exciting change of pace. Ramp angle of 8 degrees on the standard production. The proto type units had a steeper ramp angle because of the custom wheels and tires.

B & D transfer seat is available for the MXV. You should at least try one of the MXVs before you decide. It is phenomenal vehicle.

The extra headroom on the XT is accomplished by lowering the floor more than the standard model. Lift kit is used to obtain ground clearance that is about the same as the standard Entervan.

Improvement have been made both in quietness and ride. If ride is a major factor in your choice the Toyota or the Honda may be considered, but if I was ready to trade my 08 Dodge I would go for the Chrysler or Dodge again. The interior space is greater on the Dodge/Chrysler and the price is lower, and I don’t consider the ride on the Toyota or Honda to be that much better. The best thing to do is to go to an authorized BraunAbility dealer or visit our booth at one of the many exposition, and try several different Vehicles so that you can make an educated decision. Take your time because is something you will no doubt live with for many years to come.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

That is some good info from them, I like that you can use a 6way base in it, only info missing is dimensions of "wheelchair room" from front seats to rear. Need maneuvering room.

I agree, it has to be fwd only, no way to save a driveshaft on a dropped floor. But here in TX I don't really need it, so is a non-issue for me. I am very interested in seeing/getting in one of these.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"