Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever feel like giving up? This life isn't easy...

You are a victim of SCI i hate To tell you, there's an accident report and everything, you suffered a catastrophic injury only way to change that is going back in time avoiding the accident. Are you retarded man, of course I know what it is to be a paraplegic, I am one technically, but on top of that I also have far less function as a complete quadriplegic. So it would be exactly what I have now but with arm and hand function, depending on level core control, independence and ability to use a manual chair efficiently and functional, among many things. What a ridiculous statement it is you that wouldn't know what it is to be a quadriplegic, the other side of spinal cord injury should I say.. As I said I would be fine with being a paraplegic, because I could take care of myself I would have no need to degrade myself, and ask for help constantly, I could live without living off other people. If your friend is a complete C-5 or up then he can't live without other people's help, he wouldn't be a attorney without other people, he couldn't even go to work without other people. That's the problem I have, nothing is my own. what is it about my attitude that has to change, am I supposed to pretend that having my ass fondled isn't degrading and undignified, am I supposed to believe I accomplished something myself even though I didn't even get myself out of bed, iam not even healthy and alive by my own ability! So I'm just supposed to pretend these things don't happen that way, make it a taboo, Chuck it away don't talk about it, you sound like your right out of rehab, for someone injured so long ago because that's the kind of hiding fake garbage they fill you with. does my attitude have to be like yours or other people that are happy cripples, whose to judge that, so now because were disabled our attitudes are now dictated by fellow gimps, like what a load of horse droppings haha.

Listen dude (and others) there's about three other people who have expressed their misery with their injury, feel free to comment about how their attitude is not correct address what they say. Yes I go into detail, yes I express my disgust, but I'm not like most people disabled or able-bodied I have very select principles and beliefs. You're just getting defensive over what I say because it probably resonates, so you're singling me out. Which I don't care feel free, but I'm not going to lower myself to calling this a life, I have higher expectations for myself and more integrity to let myself be dependent, I strongly don't believe it is worth it, I don't agree with it, I don't think people should be alive like this, I don't think a chair is a medical solution, once you get to a level that's how I feel. There has never been a quadriplegic I've seen or heard about that has changed the perspective even slightly. Other Then Doug Smith and that Peter guy quadriplegics who with hard work and will power almost fully recovered, those are the only stories that involve disabilities that inspire me. And mr reeves For his hard work dedication, and almost sole focus on curing himself and others.

I know a guy who's a very low paraplegic he obviously can't actually wakeboard or snowboard, but he does the disabled equivalent with the adapted piece of equipment, can't remember what they're actually called. He also still rides a dirtbike and a ATV, no assistance required, maybe very minimal if anything. Also fully independent and takes care of himself like I said certain level.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 03-11-2015 at 04:24 PM.

I ride the "up and down" roller coaster like others have mentioned. It drives me crazy. I have a dog. For some reason, I think he understands this mess than people do. I lost my hearing along with all the other stuff. I have been homebound since injury and out of hospital. Each time I think I am making progress, something crazy happens and big setback. I thought I am taking small enough pieces to keep me making progress and then the setback. Currently so pissed off, been continually looking and planning suicide. Of course something crazy happens and am making more progress than IU did before in a certain areal. I swear right now, I have lost my mind.

Your a REAL PIECE OF WORK JAMESMcM!!!!!

Just looking at reality, not sugarcoating or hiding anything like a bitch.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 03-11-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Name calling?? WOW

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I don't think people should be alive like this
    but you are, and will be for the rest of your life.

*not sugar coating*

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I ride the "up and down" roller coaster like others have mentioned. It drives me crazy. I have a dog. For some reason, I think he understands this mess than people do. I lost my hearing along with all the other stuff. I have been homebound since injury and out of hospital. Each time I think I am making progress, something crazy happens and big setback. I thought I am taking small enough pieces to keep me making progress and then the setback. Currently so pissed off, been continually looking and planning suicide. Of course something crazy happens and am making more progress than IU did before in a certain areal. I swear right now, I have lost my mind.
    I think we all have suicidal thoughts more than we like to admit. I know it's hard and no one truly knows what it feels like to be us, but we just have to scratch and crawl and constantly fight this battle of life we're dealt. I know it's not easy to look at things on the bright side, but everything could be worse, right? To an extent...

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    Name calling?? WOW
    Iam not calling you a bitch man, just calling it like it is if I were to sugarcoat and hide from things. You said "your" a piece of work, as in me, right? So...

I tent to only speak about and/ or for myself, to the best of my abilities. Frustration can be trouble tho. But you've sad nothing to anger or deter me, so defences are down for me haha.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 03-11-2015 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    I think we all have suicidal thoughts more than we like to admit. I know it's hard and no one truly knows what it feels like to be us, but we just have to scratch and crawl and constantly fight this battle of life we're dealt. I know it's not easy to look at things on the bright side, but everything could be worse, right? To an extent...
    I hear ya , that's a common approach to make a rationality for this. For me personally I am happy to admit I wish to and my life, I cannot repair my cord enough to gain independence from daily degrading procedures and asking for help constantly. Cause I feel that's the only honorable thing to do for myself, onto the next stage, face the greatest fear, overcome basic instinct. Id feel like a coward if I thought any differently, I feel like a coward for going this long as it is already. Living with a SCI as a quadriplegic is the farthest thing from fighting or a battle to me, it's submitting, taking a knee permanently, accepting a cage and less for myself. In my eyes that's giving up, only shred of self-respect I keep,is the fact that I continue to try and research and keep my body from rotting away, to have a real victory one day. I hope it happens, for all of us, just enough to get back what we need and deserve.

You're not given up Kyle, just like the girl that starved herself to death didn't give up. She did an extremely brave and honorable thing. She didn't want to remain in a home the rest of her life, didn't want to degrade herself with bowel care, she wasn't like others that don't see it that way, she only saw shame, so she did what she had to do, something that most people cannot stomach. Though the initial shock would be terrible, but I'm sure she would explain to loved ones, they would understand and MoveOn in time to appreciate life all the more, with her memory. Clayton is the same thing just different story. We all have different principles, some of us stick to them. But There are some amazing things happening in spinal cord injury research though. This truth is you will never see 100% recovery, especially after 20+ years but alittle sensation, sexual function, bladder bowel function, enough motor control to be independent, do some more things that you can't now.maybe just maybe, I think were seeing the start of that now. I wouldn't be here if I didn't think I had a fighting chance, it's very small but still. If it happens I truly hope you see it. If your not and/or don't believe in the cure hype anymore, well not that it matters (because who the F am I right lol) but I understand. But just remember all you SCI veterans hearing it's five years off, research wasn't even comparable to today with actual human trials being done showing results, minor but it's a start...

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    but you are, and will be for the rest of your life.

*not sugar coating*
    Yes iam, but technically forcefully. I made my choice, but they let societies generalized fear prevent that. So here I am waiting for a settlement (that I may leave behind, if it comes to it), trying to look into clinical trials and treatments. In my families house where I will not let them watch me rot. Well technically you are sugarcoating, because you're making false statement, when the actual more likely outcome is a harsh one.