Thread: Suprapubic catheter build up problems

Suprapubic catheter build up problems

This is a request to the members of this community to see if any of you know some methods to reduce the amount of sediment and calcium in my urine due to my suprapubic catheter. Or if there are any solutions that will help dissolve this stuff when I irrigate, and help me prevent the catheters from becoming clogged on a regular basis. I drink a lot (70+ Oz.) of filtered water daily, no soft drinks or coffee. Mostly I drink filtered water. Even drinking this amount of clean water the catheters will last maybe 10 days before being virtually clogged.

I have been using these catheters for almost 30 years, and since insurance will pay for only one catheter a month I am forced to remove the catheter, physically break up the virtually solid accumulation of sediment and calcium, (at least that's what I think it is) flush the catheter clean with sterile water and then reinsert it. I carefully clean my hands, and the area with alcohol, and I have had no UTIs in nearly 10 years, so what I?m doing must be working. That being said this amount of crud coming out of, or through my bladder cannot be good.

I presently, and have been using Bard Silastic (green) catheters, and am wondering if another kind, or brand might be more effective at reducing, or controlling the amount of sediment produced in my body. There appears to be mostly two kinds of sediment being produced. One is heavier and more granular, which drains easily. I am presuming this is mostly calcium, and the other looks more, let's say biological, softer, kinda fibrous, and harder to get to flow out, more clingy.

I am reasonably certain that a lot of this is biological because in the last couple of years I have had several significant skin ulcers. While having these treated I have been prescribed a good amount of antibiotics which significantly reduced the amount of sediment in the urine. Clearly consistent use of antibiotics is not an option.

Could some of this be reduced with diet? I am a serious hand cycle athlete and consume a lot of fruit, protein, and multi vitamin/ mineral supplements daily in ?super? smoothies. Am I getting a kind of calcification in the urine by having too much vitiman C in my diet?

My overnight bags crud up regularly and I am successful at dissolving it with a solution of vinegar (acetic acid) and water. I leave it in to soak for a number of hours, and the build up mostly dissolves and is then easy to dislodge and flush out. I can?t believe that trying to irrigate the catheter while it?s in place, with this solution, to reduce, or dissolve the build up would be healthy or safe for the bladder. Any ideas at what might be effective here.

I am scheduled to see my urologist in a couple of days about this and would like to have some additional information from this community to take to him about helping to reduce the output of sediment I am now experiencing. You?alls must know something, and have some suggestions about improving my situation. How bout it?
    Last edited by St Elmo; 03-09-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Suggest you discuss daily Renacidin bladder installations (not irrigation) through your catheter daily with your provider. We instill 30 cc. or so, and clamp the catheter for 10-20 minutes, then unclamp and allow the solution to drain into the bag. This works well for reducing catheter encrustation.

Also ask your provider to help you file the necessary paperwork for an appeal with your insurer to provide you with at least two indwelling catheters monthly as a medical necessity. It is dangerous to clean and reuse indwelling catheters the way you are doing it, and you also should always have a back-up for change if you can't flush the catheter during an episode of AD...this could be life-threatening.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Suggest you discuss daily Renacidin bladder installations (not irrigation) through your catheter daily with your provider. We instill 30 cc. or so, and clamp the catheter for 10-20 minutes, then unclamp and allow the solution to drain into the bag. This works well for reducing catheter encrustation.

Also ask your provider to help you file the necessary paperwork for an appeal with your insurer to provide you with at least two indwelling catheters monthly as a medical necessity. It is dangerous to clean and reuse indwelling catheters the way you are doing it, and you also should always have a back-up for change if you can't flush the catheter during an episode of AD...this could be life-threatening.

(KLD)
    Thanks, Since I am seeing my Urologist about this issue on Wed I will bring up your suggestions on this issue to him. Probably take my laptop and show this thread with your post. I am aware that removing and re-installing the catheter is chancy. I didn't see any alternative, and with the disciplines I have used, I have been, I guess, lucky because I have had so few bladder, or UTI issues in a very long time. I make a point of almost continually drinking filtered water. More is better this case. I do, always, carry a spare catheter and stuff to be able to change it with me. By the way I have Medicare, and Fl State Medicaid for my insurance. Thanks again.

I completely agree with SCI-Nurse Reusing those catheters isn't a great idea.. Don't know what your Florida State Medicaid Insurance would pay for but Medicare should cover two catheters a month and to just be on the safe side I always purchase a few extras from a web site called AllegroMedical.com

As for the Renacidin SCI-Nurse mentioned the last two times I've tried to get some of that from my pharmacy of choice 'Walgreens' I was told they couldn't get it out so I hope you have better luck than I did if you choose to try it. And if you do please keep us up to date as to whether or not it helped I'm very curious as I have the same problem you're dealing with... Best of luck!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    I completely agree with SCI-Nurse Reusing those catheters isn't a great idea.. Don't know what your Florida State Medicaid Insurance would pay for but Medicare should cover two catheters a month and to just be on the safe side I always purchase a few extras from a web site called AllegroMedical.com

As for the Renacidin SCI-Nurse mentioned the last two times I've tried to get some of that from my pharmacy of choice 'Walgreens' I was told they couldn't get it out so I hope you have better luck than I did if you choose to try it. And if you do please keep us up to date as to whether or not it helped I'm very curious as I have the same problem you're dealing with... Best of luck!
    Sir Cowboy; I was sent this link to a 2002 thread from from here on this very subject by someone on a FB SCI peer group site. After I meet with the urologist on Wed I will update this, and keep you up on things.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...er-and-vinegar

There was a shortage of Renacidin a couple of years ago,

http://www.renalandurologynews.com/r...rticle/318854/

but that has been resolved. Your urologist should know where to order it from for you.

http://www.ibenefitrx.com/Medication/RENACIDIN%20IRRIG/

NDC: 0327-0011-05

Product Code: RN500
    Revised: November, 2006
    Jointly manufactured by GUARDIAN LABORATORIES
    a division of UNITED-GUARDIAN, INC.
    Hauppauge, N.Y. 11788

and HOSPIRA, INC.,
    LAKE FOREST, IL 60045

(KLD)

Have you been checked for bladder stones, and kidney stones recently? Also infection? If the crud gets better with antibiotics there has got to be infection present somewhere. I know when i was getting infections back to back i was put on a daily antibiotic for about 6 months. Then was taken off of it and haven't had any issues or infections since.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009