Thread: Braun vs Other Conversion Companies

Braun vs Other Conversion Companies

I'm currently looking to purchase a van I can drive. I will be going with either a Dodge/Chrysler or Toyota minivan with a fold out ramp. I'm curious to know people's opinions of the various brands of conversions. Specifically Braun, VMI, and El Durado (Amerivan). However, if you have info on any others I would appreciate it as well. I haven't had much luck yet finding comparisons of quality, reliability, maintenance, warranty, etc. Any info is greatly appreciated!
    Keep On Keepin' On

I have owned both Braun and Vmi conversions on two Honda and two Dodge over the years.

Brauns aesthetics seem a little more refined if you look hard enough. If you are the type to need to talk to a tech on the mfg level for any reason and this is very important to me in the event of a minor failure or controller reboot . VMI has been great and Braun has always redirected me to the dealer level.

I have owned a 1998 Dodge Caravan Braun conversion for many years. It has been remarkably dependable, but I will add one caveat. I am now finding that due to its age, many replacement parts are no longer available from Braun. I'm now being told I'll have to replace whole systems, such as the remotes and related receiving electronics, at major expense, as replacement remotes are no longer available.

Perhaps it the same with the other conversion companies as well. I'll leave it to others to weigh in on that. Since many of us hold on to these expensive vehicles for many years, that is problematic.

There's another option as far as the remotes, you can buy offshore units (receiver/transmitter) and replace the high dollar Braun remotes. They work quite well for the money.

I have a 2001 ford IMS conversion van. It has been a good one untill now at 160,000 miles, I have had to overhaul almost every thing on the conversion part including 1) IMS Control Board for door part # 35 - 4085 2) Van Door Latch solenoid N-2618, 3)Door Motor & door cable NMPF 11042 & 4)Power Door Latch NOW I'm looking for a ramp motor. Does any one know where I can find parts besides at a Braun dealer I can't afford the high prices anymore

Braun wins easily. I recently bought a new van. And I was told by a dealer that I trust, that sells both products that Braun is the only one that don't use special parts any more. All parts can be bought from a new car dealership. And most mechanics can repair them. And when I say parts. I am talking about the motors and such. Before you had to go through the company because they altered the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    I'm currently looking to purchase a van I can drive. I will be going with either a Dodge/Chrysler or Toyota minivan with a fold out ramp. I'm curious to know people's opinions of the various brands of conversions. Specifically Braun, VMI, and El Durado (Amerivan). However, if you have info on any others I would appreciate it as well. I haven't had much luck yet finding comparisons of quality, reliability, maintenance, warranty, etc. Any info is greatly appreciated!

All 3 are very similar, some are a little better than another due to a particular need.

Find the dealer your the most comfortable with and is the best equipped to take care of your particular needs.

Hopefully they have all 3 conversions for you to try first hand.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Braun wins easily. I recently bought a new van. And I was told by a dealer that I trust, that sells both products that Braun is the only one that don't use special parts any more. All parts can be bought from a new car dealership. And most mechanics can repair them. And when I say parts. I am talking about the motors and such. Before you had to go through the company because they altered the parts.

They all use "special parts" most times the only place to get them is from each of the different manufactures.

If your lucky enough to have a really good mobility dealer they can sometimes come up with there own way of repairing the problem on the wheelchair van.

Even when its a grey market conversion and or when there are no parts available at all.

For instance air conditioning hoses are all different, custom and replacements need to be shipped via truck.

While its not easy or inexpensive a dealer can get set up to make all these in house (same goes for lots of other parts if you have your own machine shop)

fwiw: These parts usually out last the original ones and can be repaired in much less time (usually the same day)

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I am about to purchase a new van for a modification for me to drive. I'm trying to choose between an Amerivan and a Braun conversion. Can anyone please comment on any particular van conversion that you're familiar with or have and pros & cons? its a tough decision as this purchase is for many years.
    Thank you all.
    Best regards
    Diego

I drive a Honda Odyssey conversion. It is a Braun conversion. I love it. It rides good and handles well and is very peppy. I did research before I decided on the Braun conversion and everyone I talked to said go with the Braun.