Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country Walk. Equipment talk.

"Jun to however long it takes, but hopefully finishes in 9 months."

I'd consider changing that itinerary if possible. If you did your northeast trip (New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, etc) in winter, then I'm sure you know what you're getting yourself into, but if not...

That schedule would put you in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, New York in the dead of winter, which to me (a southern boy from North Carolina) is something I would never even contemplate doing. It will definitely be friggin cold, and sooner or later you're gonna find yourself on a road packed with snow and ice.

If I was doing this, I'd start much earlier in the year. Basically route 66 from California to Texas or Oklahomaish, it will matter less what time of the year you find yourself there. It'd be much nicer to be finishing in New York in September, October, or maybe November, than in the middle of February. For example if you take route 66 all the way to Chicago (which is hard because route 66 is a lot of interstate highways now that you wouldn't be allowed to take a wheelchair on), then keep in mind that from December to March it snows on average 1/3 of the days and the HIGH temperature will be below freezing more often than not.

Just something to consider. If I was you and I thought it would take me 9 months, I would start around February or March... possibly January depending on how slow you want to take the first third of the trip.

Sounds like an awesome trip, keep us updated

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    Can I ask what type of visa you're planning to get? Are you a Malaysian citizen? Malaysia has not yet been accepted into the US VWP, but even still that would get you a maximum of 90 days. There's no way a tourist visa would stretch to 9 months. More likely 3... There is a chance you could get a J or H visa if the whole trip got affiliated with a university, could be US or Malaysian. But it is only a chance, and not easy to swing.
    I am indeed Malaysian. My 1st time I had a 2 year VISA, expired on 2014. But when I go again in 2014, they grant me with 10 year VISA, til 2024. Both of my partners also had this 10 year VISA, probably we're not first time in the country. That's why we're doing this! hope that clears things up.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    "Jun to however long it takes, but hopefully finishes in 9 months."
    I did thought of that. I know the weather in new york, im not sure about the other. I thought a little souther route will take less hit on winter. same grid line as LA, LA has a really nice weather all year round.

I really thought route 66 is historical route and no longer considered a highway, or am i wrong? you really cant take wheelchair on those? i've drive on the route granted it's only CA to AZ, it doesnt seem that much of a highway. more like a rural road. there's even houses along the road. i've also seen bike travellers. enlighten me until what point route 66 is a highway? that's kind of a bummer.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Wow - what a trip! Very impressive.

I am not sure if the bike trailer would be an option for you (they make many styles, so don't just stop at one photo) - because of the additional weight / COG may make it very difficult to get up hills. I once had a garden cart however...that collapsed into a flat cart (sides folded inward) - to transport large items, or the sides went up to carry your plants. There was a handle on it that could easily be hooked over an appropriate wheelchair modification. The handle also allowed AB's to pull the cart easily. We used it for years to transport our groceries from the driveway into the house. A downside though (of a plain garden cart as that was) is that there is limited independent steering and braking.

As I said, there are many styles of carts, so maybe you will find something that works for you.

I wish you luck in the new adventure, and goodness - I want to follow it, too!

Take care,
    Mystery
    Don't make me buy a handcycle!!!!! Hahahaha!!!

You can follow if you want to. But this is going to be a long trip because our photography and backpacking nature. Enjoying it is priority. Capturing it because in it's a prove that i've really lived my life. in 10 years from now, my body might not be able to do all this again. :P i wanna show my future kids how cool his dad really is without him knowing.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

I think 10 year visa means that for the next 10 years you can travel to us - not that you can stay in us for 10 years. I think you should carefully check how long you can stay.

Read the book Continental Quest. Look on Face book at Push Across America. Look up the Midnight Sun Ultra Marathon. You can get hold of the people that did all these and ask them questions.
    I would take a racing chair or hand bike. If for just the down hills. A regular chair will shake the front wheels very bad at the speeds you will get to down hill.
    Take a bunch of tubes for your tires. One of the biggest problems when my son pedaled his bike across the US was flat tires from little pieces of wire that come out of the radial tires.
    If you want to pull a cart. I made one out of plastic pipe and two bike wheels that I use to pull my son in behind my racer. Use all the same size tires to lessen the tubes you have to take with you.
    You need to leave right now from California if you are taking 9 months. Arizona is already hot.
    I've done Rt 66 in a car. It is a bunch of different roads that wander from Calif to Chicago. It does not exist in Texas and is the Interstate 40 in Oklahoma. There are many web sites and books about it.
    You need to have a compensator on your chair/bike. A device that keeps the chair going straight on roads with a crown or when the wind blows in your right ear for days. If not you will push most of the time with just one arm.
    Good luck.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Mr. bald is right on the money. The wind blows almost constantly across most of the central states. Either it's in your face or blowing hard against one side or the other.

Driving across Kansas towards Colorado, my first time crossing the US, thought that something went wrong with the steering on my pick-up truck. Vehicle was pulling hard to the left for hours, so I pulled into a Ford garage and asked what might be wrong. Mechanic walked around to the back of my truck, looked at my Pennsylvania licence plate and smiled.
    It's the wind, he said and I felt like a fool. But hey, there's always the first time for everyone. Always was good for a laugh.
    Good luck with your trip.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Read the book Continental Quest. Look on Face book at Push Across America. Look up the Midnight Sun Ultra Marathon. You can get hold of the people that did all these and ask them questions.
    I would take a racing chair or hand bike. If for just the down hills. A regular chair will shake the front wheels very bad at the speeds you will get to down hill.
    Take a bunch of tubes for your tires. One of the biggest problems when my son pedaled his bike across the US was flat tires from little pieces of wire that come out of the radial tires.
    If you want to pull a cart. I made one out of plastic pipe and two bike wheels that I use to pull my son in behind my racer. Use all the same size tires to lessen the tubes you have to take with you.
    You need to leave right now from California if you are taking 9 months. Arizona is already hot.
    I've done Rt 66 in a car. It is a bunch of different roads that wander from Calif to Chicago. It does not exist in Texas and is the Interstate 40 in Oklahoma. There are many web sites and books about it.
    You need to have a compensator on your chair/bike. A device that keeps the chair going straight on roads with a crown or when the wind blows in your right ear for days. If not you will push most of the time with just one arm.
    Good luck.
    How. this is truly helpful.
    I've searched and only see compensator for racing chair. i know there's one for wheelchair so people with one hand can push a chair too. you think you can give me some reference? i'm currently using tilite tr.

should look into used handcycle too i guess.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    How. this is truly helpful.
    I've searched and only see compensator for racing chair. i know there's one for wheelchair so people with one hand can push a chair too. you think you can give me some reference? i'm currently using tilite tr.

should look into used handcycle too i guess.
    Mike Box of Box wheelchairs makes a great chair for trekking on any type of surface and will hold up under strong winds. Here is a link to it: https://www.facebook.com/boxwheelcha...type=3&theater

I think the suggestion about having a vehicle trail after you is a good idea. Just for repairs alone, I believe it would be invaluable. Also, you could switch out wheelchairs when the terrain requires it.