Thread: Rectal Bleeding ~ a little bit alarmed this morn!

Rectal Bleeding ~ a little bit alarmed this morn!

So my husbands bowel program normally only consists of Digital Stim anymore. We don't use suppositories or anything else.. There is normally no blood at all.
    Last night he wanted to try to do it himself, and used magic bullet (ended up using two) on the commode. This morning, we did the program again to make sure it was cleared out - and all I got was blood (mucus & blood, I'm sure) ..Bright red.
    I've seen a little bit of it in the past and blown it off , though it rarely happens. but this was a little excessive.
    I assume the first thing to start with would be stool softener of some kind to (hopefully ) take care of underlying causes. Has anyone ever seen this before? I don't really know what to make of it. I told him that he should probably go get scoped, but whether it will happen or not....
    Just wondering if you've seen it. I'm going to keep my eye on it, give him some miralax and go from there, but... How alarmed should I be?

Is there any abdominal pain? I had this years ago. Ended up I had bleeding ulcer in stomach. At least at that time I was told could never be operated on and removed. The blood did create pain. I am on Pantoprazole ever since then. That reduces acid production.

bright red blood means lower in the GI tract, like the colon/rectum. Bleeding from high up (such as the stomach) comes out looking black and tarry, or like coffee grounds, as the blood gets digested passing through.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Bright red, Probably hemorrhoids.
    Often along with a little swelling?

Happens to me every couple of months or so.

Good news is that they don't hurt.

j
    Doh!

Agree with JeffH. Happens to us too, especially on hard stool days.

Most likely this is hemorrhoids. Bright red blood during bowel care with hemorroids is par for the course. If he bleeds between bowel programs, or bleeds more than a tablespoon or so of blood with every bowel program, or if his blood count drops, or if he gets bad AD from hemorrhoid irritation, then they may need treatment. Generally a sigmoidoscopy is sufficient (an office procedure) and if he is lucky, then any bad hemorroids can be treated with "rubber band" therapy or sclerosing injections. Rarely is surgery required. You may want to look at the recent article in New Mobility about hemorroids in SCI. http://www.newmobility.com/2015/01/d...h-hemorrhoids/

(KLD)

Thanks to all! I've been reading up myself, and what I came up with goes with everything you said. He doesn't have any abdominal pain or other symptoms, BUT this morn he woke up with a fever and high heart rate (115ish) . Most likely bladder related, but it sucks that these can also be symptoms of blood loss.
    HOWEVER, since the blood is most likely coming from the lower tract, it seems as though It would be seen & have to come out..if it was such a significant amount. What i have seen thus far is not enough to warrant that kind of thinking.

Never a dull moment, I swear. This june it will be 3 years i think... and things are easier than the first year , definitely, but still every couple of months there is something coming up..just when you start to take health for granted , something else comes up to remind you that you have to stay on your toes.. I wish things would just calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
    Never a dull moment, I swear. This june it will be 3 years i think... and things are easier than the first year , definitely, but still every couple of months there is something coming up..just when you start to take health for granted , something else comes up to remind you that you have to stay on your toes.. I wish things would just calm down.
    That pretty much sums up how things have gone for me, as well.
    But, it has gotten better, and my health has continued to improve or at least things now stay calm for longer and longer periods.
    Good Luck,
    Jeff
    Doh!