Thread: Generic name for clinitron bed

Blog Entries

Generic name for clinitron bed

They send me home from sub-acute with only low-air-loss-mattress which has destroyed my soar already. What is the genetic name for a clinictron bed and what other company supply them for in home use?

A generic name for the Clinitron? Maybe, "Air Fluidized Bed" ? I don't know of a non-Hill Rom company version of the Clinitron.
    Dolphin beds are made by the Joerns company. It's a closed-air system that's supposed to simulate immersion in fluid.
    Both companies market to patients with complex wounds.

The generic term is an air fluidized bed. Sounds like you are on a low air loss mattress, which does not provide as low pressures as an air-fluidized does. Unfortunately Hill-Rom has recently stopped making or distributing/renting both their hospital Clinitron II and RiteHite beds, as well as the similar Clinitron-At-Home.

There are not a lot of options out there for air-fluidization right now, esp. for in-home use. We use the Arjo-Huntleigh FluidAir Elite http://www.arjohuntleigh.com/product...fluidair-elite in the hospital right now, and we are also planning on starting the use of the Aurora HydroAir http://auroramfg.com/hydroaire_aft_bed/.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Thank you, I am working to find out more to see if I can get the bed in my house (32.5 inch wide door opening) and I am wondering also if anyone makes a wheelchair cushion that uses that air fluidized air technology.

No cushion. The beds are not only big and bulky, but incredibly heavy due to the weight of the silicon beads. For example, the FluidAir Elite weighs 1800 lb. without a person in it. A wheelchair cushion with the same technology would not only weigh a lot by itself, but the motor required to agitate the beads and warm the air would be very bulky and heavy. If you sit up in an air-fluidized bed, it is very easy to "bottom out" as well as your butt tends to sink so low into the beads that it hits bottom.

(KLD)

If you've got a busted open sore and are searching for fluidized beds, consider not sitting up on any wheelchair cushion until your skin is fully healed.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 03-06-2015 at 12:06 AM.