Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: If you had the funds...would you opt for any current therapies?

I imagine those two risks would come together, unavoidably there would be a chance of ending with one or the other if it's a invasive surgery which is most likely necessary

I would make sure in the event the outcome was worse I would have access to a peaceful death. I wish I had that now.

I hear you D. but how would you ensure access to a peaceful death when it's not available unless you live in Oregon. It's like us saying before our injuries that we would rather die than be like it is. How's that going? Anyone willing to help with that?

No one is helping.

Canada's finally not being a prick about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Would you take that same risk if it came with a significant risk of further impairment rather than death?
    I know I wouldn't. My biggest fear is getting treatment and getting more nerve pain. I'll tell ya right now...if it gets worse I'm peaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Would you take that same risk if it came with a significant risk of further impairment rather than death?
    Great question. The answer for me would be 'no'.

How do you evaluate a place like the Stem Cell Institute in Panama which claims to be affiliated with the Johns Hopkins hospital and posts SCI patient videos (Seem to be US citizens) claiming having gotten major improvements in their conditions based on stem cell therapy received there? one was able to walk after not feeling anything or being able to move anything below the level of injury.

IF someone was to follow that treatment, what would the risk be and would that prevent them from having a different type of treatment if that was to become available in the near future? (I am not talking about participating in clinical trials)

I am 57 years old, 2 years post injury T3/T4 incomplete but Asia A, my impression is the longer I wait to try something the less there will be to recover, it is hard to deal with this sort of dilemma

I don't see much of a dilemma. If a therapy has not been proven to be effective in a series of clinical trials, it is not worth trying. More importantly, it can be very dangerous. Most times, these sham clinics can not provide proof that the cells they use are good manufacturing practices (GMP) certified. You have no idea what they are putting in you.

In Dr. Young's ChinaSCINet 102b KM: UCBMC Transplant with Rehabilitation Trial, the average time injured of the 20 patients was 7 years, up to 17. I understand there wasn't much difference in their recovery. 75% recovered a great deal, and that excludes 2 that had to drop out due to pre-trial leg fractures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I don't see much of a dilemma. If a therapy has not been proven to be effective in a series of clinical trials, it is not worth trying. More importantly, it can be very dangerous. Most times, these sham clinics can not provide proof that the cells they use are good manufacturing practices (GMP) certified. You have no idea what they are putting in you.

In Dr. Young's ChinaSCINet 102b KM: UCBMC Transplant with Rehabilitation Trial, the average time injured of the 20 patients was 7 years, up to 17. I understand there wasn't much difference in their recovery. 75% recovered a great deal, and that excludes 2 that had to drop out due to pre-trial leg fractures.
    Thank you for the feedback Jim.

Alan