Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If you had the funds...would you opt for any current therapies?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Stem cells alone Will not cause enough regeneration, in my opinion and there are numerous studies where they have tried and failed. Needs a scaffold technology or hydrogel etc definitely can't be intravenous needs to be directly at the injury site.
    What legitimate studies using what type of stem cells?

I really doubt stem cells will "magically" recreate all of the strength that is lost. As well as coordination with that strength and your actual body. Stem cell may be or may not be a piece or the entire problem. But I seriously think it is only 1 piece out of a countless of other pieces to the entire process. Keep in mind EVERY single body on this planet is unique. We all are different. May me look the same on the outside, but extremely unique on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    What legitimate studies using what type of stem cells?
    Any Of the numerous bone marrow stem cell trials, stem cell inc trail, neuralstems trial... Actually any trial That only uses stem cells!! None of them have shown any big recovery, dr. Youngs trial included lithium, untethering surgery and I believe the most functional and intense rehab program on earth. And that how his trial has shown the most recovery involving stem cells alone at the injury. But let's face it these results were groundbreaking but not life changing. Even for the two who could use a walker outSide of their house A chair is still more functional, which means still greatly limiting life's potential via access. Not much sensation return meaning great disconnection from everything including own body, and sex is zapped. No hand, arm improvements meaning for completes still likely dependent. All in all not the regeneration were looking (or iam talking about should have been more specific my bad). Stem cells alone have at best achieved very minor regeneration.

But saddly our researchers in the field are starved for funds, affecting pace, ability and knowledge. Stem cell alone are (in my eyes) 1st gen attempts, 2nd gen involves scaffolds, epidural stim, 3rd maybe gene therapy...
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 03-06-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Originally Posted by
    This is a very complicated question. While waiting and waiting, believe it or not, you are allowing parts of your body to also degenerate that you are not even aware of. This is both physical and neurological. This waiting is retraining and rebuilding all of the coordination of the physical and neurological. A baby from time of birth is doing/learning all of these kind of things. A baby takes an awfully long time to become an adult. If magically our neurological system is "fixed", the things I have just stated are completely uncoordinated. There is countless number of things going on in our bodies from head to toes. There also is a visual component to this if you are not aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I really don't see that.
    No? I got the following today from Miami Project:

"We are currently recruiting people with SCI at C5 to C7 to explore various issues about muscle function in relation to age (age at SCI, SCI duration, current age).

There are various surveys in the literature completed by individuals with SCI and they are reporting new muscle dysfunction (weakness, fatigue) at 45-50 years and we do not know why. This is earlier than seen for natural aging. Our experiments are looking at the underlying biology to understand what is happening so we can then design ways to try to reduce the deficits."

It is similar to "post polio syndrome" and there is some decent data on it at MUSC in South Carolina in studies by Dr. Krause and funded by NIH.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post

"We are currently recruiting people with SCI at C5 to C7 to explore various issues about muscle function in relation to age (age at SCI, SCI duration, current age).

There are various surveys in the literature completed by individuals with SCI and they are reporting new muscle dysfunction (weakness, fatigue) at 45-50 years and we do not know why. This is earlier than seen for natural aging. Our experiments are looking at the underlying biology to understand what is happening so we can then design ways to try to reduce the deficits."

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    What was your own reason for not doing it?
    I don't have a reason for not doing it

It was a joke. He said "here also is a visual component to this if you are not aware of that"

and I said "I don't see that".

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweeds View Post

Sorry, but did you ever learn and see how to do all of these things when you were a child and growing up uninjured? Data those eyes are sending, better be correct and correct at the correct time. I have regenerated tons of things, movement and strength all the way to toes in each foot. I will say I wonder how much strength still needs be accomplished. Would seriously ask therapist if I can get into pool. stand and leave go with what I was holding to maintain upright. This would then provide me where else I need to work. Kist getting sensation below hip all started when I tried doing things with eyes closed. With my eyes open, I know I never visually leaned what I needed to do with injured spinal cord. Doctor on this site said eyes do send data to brain fractional amount of time before actual movement.

To answer the original question, 'no' would be my answer because I don't think there is anything viable out there.

However if there was something out there I'd sell everything I owned to access the treatment - hell I'd even sell a kidney or lung lol.

To take things a step further if someone offered a cure however it also came with a significant risk of death I'd still go for it.

Would you take that same risk if it came with a significant risk of further impairment rather than death?