Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 was hoping for a repair for SCI

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    We need someone caliber as Elon Musk in our community.
    (God forbid that I am wishing this SCI misfortune to anyone, even billionaire...)
    The fact is - not only $$$$ huge award (greed) would move things faster.
    We need some Visionary and Loaded person to push Cure button with a survival passion!!!
    Or little bit unpredicted luck with current players...
    Imagine... virus that will genetically trigger some spinal cells to produce CHase or some peptide
    that will dissolve scar and make autologous Neural Stem cells derived from patient skin to
    re-grow and re-connect fast and make Dr. Ahlfors second Human trial in Canada and USA 2016
    to make fast evidence of Cure...
    ...at least I can dream...
    to
    If We could raise 7 to 10,000,000 maybe we could get that trial here!

Blog Entries

Very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    First I'd like to say that 18 years at C3 is amazing you must be very strong and have excellent care. You have held out hope a lot longer than me. I hung in for about the first 8-10 years then forgot about it. I really feel that at some poi9nt in the future "New Injuries" will be cured right away at time of injury but as for me, with my chronic injury it will not happen in my lifetime.

I compare it to something like Polio if you got it you lived out your life with it but if you were vaccinated and never got it you were o.k. and now it has been eradicated.
    Yes, we will discover a correction for SCI but it will be for acutes only, unfortunately there's little that can be done to ameliorate the suffering and troubles of the chronics.

The better be incorrect, for a lot of people myself included. And a lot of researchers working hard.

Blog Entries

Funny, I used to think the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    The better be incorrect, for a lot of people myself included. And a lot of researchers working hard.
    Now I respond to others when they try to commiserate with me by saying "don't worry, they're working on it, progress is being made everyday" I'd say, just exactly do you think "THEY" are? Do you really think there's a bunch of nerdy scientist types in lab coats and horn rim glasses holed up in secret laboratory somewhere with unlimited resources, and pushing themselves 24/7 to discover the magical cure to SCI???
    Nah, no such thing. Instead, it's quite the bubble-bursting opposite.

No, you are right there. But There are labs all over the world, where scientists do a full days work five days a week , With many doing overtime going above and beyond, Because of work obsession and their field. Solely working on SCI. With very limited funding, but working around it.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 03-17-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I got the upmost respect for Dr. Young. I have no doubt he's done everything possible to fine the cure in his thinking. But the prove is in the statistics and its not happening. His mind is wired to liberal thinking and ways and that is not going to find the cure. We need greed to find this cure. Money talks, everything else is BS.

The cure for Ebola took a decade, and it was greed that made it happen. If it was left to college professors and grants it would never been solved.
    You just are not informed. ChinaSCINet conducted 8 clinical trials for 2 million dollars. They are changing the game. In CN102B, 15 of 20 ASIA A Complete chronic patients have recovered assisted walking (Kunming level 4), 2 of which are walking unassisted. Many have gotten back bowel and bladder function, and we have seen DTI images of growth across the injury sites at one year. These results will soon be published. In the meantime, we are planning to do this around the world this year. Our trials are not the only ones that are showing progress. There is much to be excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Now I respond to others when they try to commiserate with me by saying "don't worry, they're working on it, progress is being made everyday" I'd say, just exactly do you think "THEY" are? Do you really think there's a bunch of nerdy scientist types in lab coats and horn rim glasses holed up in secret laboratory somewhere with unlimited resources, and pushing themselves 24/7 to discover the magical cure to SCI???
    Nah, no such thing. Instead, it's quite the bubble-bursting opposite.
    Do you pay attention to research at all? Gregiore Courtine, Susan Harkema, Murray Blackmore, Jerry Silver, and Wise are just a few researchers who are dedicated to curing chronic SCI...Just because progress is slow doesn't mean nobody is working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post

I compare it to something like Polio if you got it you lived out your life with it but if you were vaccinated and never got it you were o.k. and now it has been eradicated.
    Polio has NOT been eradicated. We are back to two countries where we were a decade ago. It came back and hit about 10 due to air travel and countries relooked at their vaccination programs and border controls. Those two countries are Pakistan and Afghanistan. Due to polluted water, India has annual boosters for large parts of its population.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

In Pakistan they are killing those trying to vaccinate. WHO withdrew from the effort for a time as did Rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Polio has NOT been eradicated. We are back to two countries where we were a decade ago. It came back and hit about 10 due to air travel and countries relooked at their vaccination programs and border controls. Those two countries are Pakistan and Afghanistan. Due to polluted water, India has annual boosters for large parts of its population.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You just are not informed. ChinaSCINet conducted 8 clinical trials for 2 million dollars. They are changing the game. In CN102B, 15 of 20 ASIA A Complete chronic patients have recovered assisted walking (Kunming level 4), 2 of which are walking unassisted. Many have gotten back bowel and bladder function, and we have seen DTI images of growth across the injury sites at one year. These results will soon be published. In the meantime, we are planning to do this around the world this year. Our trials are not the only ones that are showing progress. There is much to be excited about.
    I really hope you're right. And I don't keep up on the research that's going on. Because I have been in the game way to long with so many wrong promises. I have always felt the biggest pitfall with the research has been bad management on raising the funds. It seems like the scientist are out raising the awareness for the funds. They need to stay in the labs and hire the right people to do that. You mention two million, peanuts. They need to hire the right politician to do the job.