Thread: 2015 was hoping for a repair for SCI

A cure for Ebola? Did I miss something?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    A cure for Ebola? Did I miss something?
    I guess you did. Didn't you here the four or so that came here infected were cured and sent home within a couple of months of treatments.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ns-were-cured/

I wouldn't say they were 'cured' as much as treated. The questions now stand for how they are immune to Ebola and how this affects all of us.

"We are not being critical of our colleagues in west Africa. They suffer from a terrible lack of infrastructure and the sort of testing that everyone in our society takes for granted, such as the ability to do a complete blood count?measuring your red blood cells, your white blood cells and your platelets?which is done as part of any standard checkup here. The facility in Liberia where our two patients were didn?t even have this simple thing, which everyone assumes is done as part of your annual physical.

What we found in general is that among our Ebola patients, because of the amount of fluid they lost through diarrhea and vomiting, they had a lot of electrolyte abnormalities. And so replacing that with standard fluids [used in hospital settings] without monitoring will not do a very good job of replacing things like sodium and potassium. In both of our patients we found those levels to be very low. One of the messages we will be sending back to our colleagues is even if you don?t have the equipment to measure these levels, do be aware this is occurring when patients are having a lot of body fluid loss.

Our two patients also gained an enormous amount of fluid in their tissues, what we call edema. In Ebola virus disease there is damage to the liver and the liver no longer makes sufficient amount of protein; the proteins in the blood are very low and there is an enormous amount of fluid leakage out into the tissues. So one of the takeaway messages is to pay closer attention to that and perhaps early on try to replace some of these proteins that patients? livers lack."

.. but back to treating spinal cord injuries, there will never be a cure .. I've accepted that long ago .. I just wanted some treatments to improve the quality of my life and others. That has been the most disappointing. Lack of any treatments and in my case - for three decades (besides 4ap which was minimal but taken gladly).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

The Ebola patients are given life supporting care while the body's immune system is developing a defense against the virus. Experimental drugs have been given to some but their effectiveness is not clear at this point. They are being given the same kind of support that keep newly injured SCIs alive. There is a difference between supportive care a cure.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ns-were-cured/

I wouldn't say they were 'cured' as much as treated. The questions now stand for how they are immune to Ebola and how this affects all of us.

"We are not being critical of our colleagues in west Africa. They suffer from a terrible lack of infrastructure and the sort of testing that everyone in our society takes for granted, such as the ability to do a complete blood count?measuring your red blood cells, your white blood cells and your platelets?which is done as part of any standard checkup here. The facility in Liberia where our two patients were didn?t even have this simple thing, which everyone assumes is done as part of your annual physical.

What we found in general is that among our Ebola patients, because of the amount of fluid they lost through diarrhea and vomiting, they had a lot of electrolyte abnormalities. And so replacing that with standard fluids [used in hospital settings] without monitoring will not do a very good job of replacing things like sodium and potassium. In both of our patients we found those levels to be very low. One of the messages we will be sending back to our colleagues is even if you don?t have the equipment to measure these levels, do be aware this is occurring when patients are having a lot of body fluid loss.

Our two patients also gained an enormous amount of fluid in their tissues, what we call edema. In Ebola virus disease there is damage to the liver and the liver no longer makes sufficient amount of protein; the proteins in the blood are very low and there is an enormous amount of fluid leakage out into the tissues. So one of the takeaway messages is to pay closer attention to that and perhaps early on try to replace some of these proteins that patients? livers lack."

.. but back to treating spinal cord injuries, there will never be a cure .. I've accepted that long ago .. I just wanted some treatments to improve the quality of my life and others. That has been the most disappointing. Lack of any treatments and in my case - for three decades (besides 4ap which was minimal but taken gladly).

I'm a simple guy. Not as smart as a lot of you here. I deal with logic and common sense. I understand people and their habits. And I know that those people living today would be dead if it wasn't for that team and their cure. And they were pushed to fine that cure through financial reasons. They may deny it, but that's the fact.

Lets examine a non profit search for a cure. And this is no reflection on Dr. Wise.

Its starts with a lot of good people with great intention, but very misguided in finding it. They start with finding funding. They go to individuals, companies and government grants. The problem with that there is no expectations for their money. And not enough self reward in finding the cure. So lets look at a so called scientist working off a government grant. What would make that team to push for a quick cure if all their funding would end if there is a cure and the odds are most teams won't get credit for it. Plus the head guys around the country will lose their rock star celebrity and funded trips around the world to discuss their result. No more partying with celebrities and politicians.

Private company which has it own money on the line has big expectations. And you must fine result or your out of there. The scientist team not out wasting it time on funding. Their in their lab 12 hours every day searching for that cure.

I think the number one problem with these non profits and fund raising. They go about it in the wrong way. They don't know how or don't understand the economics of raising large amounts of government money. These single or double digits are nothing. They need to come together and find one big name with lots of political influence. like Clinton's or a Eric Holder and pay them 50 million a year to get that funding. Politicians and companies all owe them. They would be able to raise hundreds of millions and the scientist won't need to leave the lab.

Just wanted to say thank you for your nice words, I do have excellent care my wife who is a registered nurse who I met when I was living in a nursing home decided to take the challenge. We also believe back then it would be four years and there was going to be a cure, which I call a repair. There will be no way if they repair this injury I could get back into the shape I was in when my accident happened 29 years old/18 days before my 30th? I went to one of the best rehabs actually became friends with Christopher Reeves would have done anything to keep him around. Just don't know how much more I can take. I've been through hell and back kidney stones surgery where they blasted this stone and the bodyweight euro sepsis, giving me last rights and I pulled through that lost 10 of my toes. So now I can only count to 10. Open-heart surgery to replace a heart valve because of a nasty UTI got into the blood system. I'm still here. Just started taking vacations in the past two years, New York, and visit Myrtle Beach. It's just a lot of work. Wish I can hit the Powerball and donate multi million dollars, or hold it as a prize for whoever finds a repair for this.
    keiffer66

I just want to thank everybody for answering at least I know I'm not alone… My parents are getting up there and they are a big part of my support just not fair. How everybody goes out of their way and I am not able to return that help to them. I know there are a lot of things happening just put it in simple terms, so the simple people like me can understand it. That's why I only visit this site from time to time too many politics and you never hear what you're looking to hear. Well thanks again for listening. God speed
    keiffer66

We need someone caliber as Elon Musk in our community.
    (God forbid that I am wishing this SCI misfortune to anyone, even billionaire...)
    The fact is - not only $$$$ huge award (greed) would move things faster.
    We need some Visionary and Loaded person to push Cure button with a survival passion!!!
    Or little bit unpredicted luck with current players...
    Imagine... virus that will genetically trigger some spinal cells to produce CHase or some peptide
    that will dissolve scar and make autologous Neural Stem cells derived from patient skin to
    re-grow and re-connect fast and make Dr. Ahlfors second Human trial in Canada and USA 2016
    to make fast evidence of Cure...
    ...at least I can dream...
    to
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Dr Ahlfors should fasten trial in Russia and also few other countries where it is easy to conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    We need someone caliber as Elon Musk in our community.
    (God forbid that I am wishing this SCI misfortune to anyone, even billionaire...)
    The fact is - not only $$$$ huge award (greed) would move things faster.
    We need some Visionary and Loaded person to push Cure button with a survival passion!!!
    Or little bit unpredicted luck with current players...
    Imagine... virus that will genetically trigger some spinal cells to produce CHase or some peptide
    that will dissolve scar and make autologous Neural Stem cells derived from patient skin to
    re-grow and re-connect fast and make Dr. Ahlfors second Human trial in Canada and USA 2016
    to make fast evidence of Cure...
    ...at least I can dream...
    to
    We need a powerful politician who can show that funding the NIH is in the best interest of our country. And that politician needs to go out and raise lots of money for the campaigns of many in office so they grant lots of money to the NIH. It would be expensive to land a politician of that caliber. JPMorgan hired Eric Holder for 74 million a year to represent them and their industry once he out of office. Look at what a few like Gore did with global warming. I think Hillary will be done with running for office soon. Throw her and Bill 50 million a year. Their campaign funding whores.