Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zero Turn Mower

I'm T4 complete and tried a Hustler mini z and Toro but both have the control handles in the way. I settled on a Walker Model B in 2006. The model B is basically a homeowner version from Walker. It does not have the GHS (grass handling system) at the additional complexity of the fan and catcher. It's also about 1/2 the price of a model T or D. It also has aluminum gearboxes instead of cast iron.
    I lock the hydro's with the lever under the right fender and use a 36" plastic transfer board. It's s flat transfer from chair to seat. Spend the $150 for comfort seat option and I've never needed a cushion. Walker is expensive but worth every nickel IMO.
    I bought a Craftsman Lt with 42" deck about the same time. I fabricated a lever to lift the clutch-brake and drive with the hydro only after starting. Caution: this is a big transfer (about 6" up and 12" over the fender). It's a piece of junk but I use it for rough ground and spraying. I usually wear a J protector to protect my bony behind.
    I looked at the current model B and the deck belt tightener is in the way on the left. Find one with the electric clutch (mine is) or cut the lever and operate the tensioner with a piece of pipe over the shortened lever.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have a John Deere Z600 series mower and do this.

1. I have a 3 ft long transfer board
    2. I put an old Jay 3 cushion where my feet go
    3. Pull up next to the mower in between the front two wheels at an angle and sllide over onto the cushion from my chair
    4. Put the sliding board back on chair
    5. scoot back and pull my feet up onto the mower
    6. do a dip like motion up from the cushion onto the seat. This may be a deal killer if you have shoulder/elbow problems but hey I am 50 and can do it.
    7. Put the old cushion on top of my chair.
    8. Mow

It is a little cold in MN for me to do a video, but in a couple months....
    Hey, T8!

I forget. Are you able to use any of your core muscles?

A video would be excellent when you get a chance. I'm still a few months away from making my purchase. Trying to decide on which to get.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Skogy View Post
    I have used a Walker mower since 2003. I just bought a new on last fall. The seat is basically the same height as my chair. I used to put one leg on the seat and pull myself over and then on. Lately I have been using a board - it's so easy to get on. I also have a snow blower attachment that I use in the winter.

The controls are all by hand. The deck flips up so changing and sharpening blades is a breeze.

I highly recommend the mower. Built tough and the cut is by far best in class.

I use the Model C19.

http://www.walkermowers.com/tractors/c-series.php
    Haven't heard of this brand. Looks nice. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    heres mine super easy transfer
    Now that's what I'm talking about. That would be much easier to build/put together than what I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ResonantEcho View Post
    Now that's what I'm talking about. That would be much easier to build/put together than what I had in mind.

let me know how it works out i know you will like it
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    What kind of mower? I have an ExMark that I made a padded seat and mounted on the side frame. I transfer from my chair to the seat on the mower, swing around and lift my legs to the mower floor and lift my butt to the seat. Being a mid mount, I can also transfer from the front to the mower foot plate and lift to the seat, but the seat on the side is much easier as it is about the same height as my chair. I can also carry my chair on the mower, the seat helps hold it on the mower and out of my way. That way I can mow other places and still be able to transfer to chair if needed. I don't mow with my wheelchair on the mower though, that would be kind of a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    What kind of mower? I have an ExMark that I made a padded seat and mounted on the side frame. I transfer from my chair to the seat on the mower, swing around and lift my legs to the mower floor and lift my butt to the seat. Being a mid mount, I can also transfer from the front to the mower foot plate and lift to the seat, but the seat on the side is much easier as it is about the same height as my chair. I can also carry my chair on the mower, the seat helps hold it on the mower and out of my way. That way I can mow other places and still be able to transfer to chair if needed. I don't mow with my wheelchair on the mower though, that would be kind of a pain.
    I'd love to see a pic of your setup. This is a perfectly timed thread. I am also considering a zero turn and trying to figure out how to transfer as a C5-6.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I'd love to see a pic of your setup. This is a perfectly timed thread. I am also considering a zero turn and trying to figure out how to transfer as a C5-6.
    I have it put away in my shed for the winter and there is a pile of snow in front of the door. I fit warms up I'll try and get pics. There is an older thread about this same thing and I had pics there, but they aren't loading now. That was before the web changes, so maybe that messed them up?

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I have it put away in my shed for the winter and there is a pile of snow in front of the door. I fit warms up I'll try and get pics. There is an older thread about this same thing and I had pics there, but they aren't loading now. That was before the web changes, so maybe that messed them up?
    No problem. I'd still like to see it when/IF this damn weather ever breaks.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

ZTR Transfer

I had an i-beam installed with a trolly and electric hoist. Works great for getting on and off my ztr.
    Click Here For Pics
    Last edited by tbdeaux; 03-09-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Add Pictures