Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Smartdrive new model?

Quote Originally Posted by carinah1010 View Post
    attaching it ... difficult because it weighs something like 15 lbs
    I have found ways to not need to lift the whole unit off the ground by using various surfaces for leverage to slide in and out of the car, put it into place etc. Although fitting it to the chair might be easier because because mine is on the folding frame bar.

move your wrist too much the drive will constantly stop
    Yes, but if you keep fairly smooth movements of your arm/hand it doesn't switch off so much. Frustrating though when does happen.

be careful to not activate the drive when you are going downhill
    I have found that even with the bluetooth switched on, in the circumstance of SD assistance when approaching the decline, then wrist tap switch off motor at top of decline, the drive doesn't always power on coasting down unless there is a sharp change of speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    What would be really neat would be the ability to plug the external battery from the older model into the charging socket for the new one, to give flexibility if you wanted to travel longer distances from time to time and yet have the convenience of the single unit most of the time. So the external battery would be an add on extra.
    Perfect--hope Mark is reading this!!!!

How do you guys take Smart Drive on and off chair. Any videos of a para doing independently? I will need to take off each time i load my folding chair. Not sure if i can do it after transferring to SUV it is a long way down Just brainstorming don't have one yet but getting closer.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    How do you guys take Smart Drive on and off chair. Any videos of a para doing independently? I will need to take off each time i load my folding chair. Not sure if i can do it after transferring to SUV it is a long way down Just brainstorming don't have one yet but getting closer.
    Someone said they can hook it up while seated. I tried a couple of times, but my I can sit on my van floor to reach the hanger so I do it that way instead. I had a mishap where it was not mounted correctly, so I am very careful to be sure it is hanging the way it should. But removal is easy since it's just a lifting action to get it off.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I practiced with a demo unit today i can get if off after transferring into suv but won't be able to get it on from there too far down so still pondering ...

Quote Originally Posted by WaveWolf View Post
    Perfect--hope Mark is reading this!!!!
    Me too. This is the best idea I've heard! I would love to be able to add an accessory battery.

I just got approved for a MX2 through my insurance. With two shoulder sprains, once left and once on the right, possible left labrum tear, my twins being born (3 months old now)...I caved in and requested a demo, loved it and will find out soon when it can be shipped. I'm a t7/t8 para 13 years post SCI. I work in acute rehab as a medical social worker and I do a lot of pushing at work. My PT/friend/coworker has been trying his best to convince me to get one and I finally caved in.

My purpose for the MX2 is to reduce the wear and tear, conserve my energy at work so that when I get home I can enjoy spending time with my family, and of course be able to push the stroller when we go out as a family.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.