Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Smartdrive new model?

Thanks for the video, it shows a lot. I wish it had demonstrated better how the wristband works. If you need to bring it close to pushrims, it wouldn't work if your hands weren't free like when she was carrying luggage to her hotel room. I am thinking it only needs to be depressed, so pushing it against anything would activate it. Best look I've gotten at the new SmartDrive. I do like the battery level lights on the unit and I liked their color. Not about the SmartDrive but I practically screamed when I saw the motorcycle doing stunts next to her, I thought that was a terrible idea. That truly is an aside because the unit and it's running looked great.

She snaps her hands pretty hard to get it going. I suspect they backed off on the sensitivity. I agree the motorcycle is lame and distracting.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallingwithstyle View Post
    I've watched the video a few times and perhaps veterans of the MX1 can help me, it looks like she's able to grab the wheel to control it, which tells me it's not using "true" outdoor mode, am I wrong? I only used the MX1 for about 45min, and eventually got the hang of the open palm steering thing, but I did bloody my hands from grabbing the wheel in outdoor mode.
    -FWS
    I agree, when she is outside and possibly most of the time she is using indoor mode since she stops and starts using the handrims. At least it does not appear she bumps her wrist at all. They are making it look very effortless.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Another vid from Max Mobility about the MX2. It's a teaser, it focuses a bit more on the wrist band but doesn't mention the button to toggle the motor. SDL's website also mentions an available feature on the MX2, an attendant control button. I'm not sure what that is all about, but SDL says it works with tilt in space manuals, could be a game changer in the lightweight power assist category.
    -FWS
    http://www.seatingdynamics.com.au/21...Drive_MX2.aspx

Thank you for the video, it helped me understand changes in the new model. I wish there was more of a demonstration of the wristband. Until I have more information I am going on guesses and I am wondering if you make an accidental motion with your wrist if it easily shuts off the motor. When I was taking my SD on long distances there would be bumps along the way and sometimes I would rest one arm on my lap, steering with the other. I don't know how the wristband-switch takes to that kind of motion. Since it's Mark, I am guessing he has thought of everything and it works well. I still have my SD and spent so much on it I can't just buy the new model because it's improved. Wish I could but I was lucky to get on board with my SD when I did, it's helped me a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I am wondering if you make an accidental motion with your wrist if it easily shuts off the motor ... bumps along the way ... arm on my lap
    Hi. When I tested it the sensor didn't respond to soft movement, but switched when it was tapped against a surface. The natural one is with your wrist against the wheel while you're in control of the handrim but could be antyhing, like while the girl in the video is pushing the shopping trolley with both hands - tapping it against the handle.

A guy at the expo says clapping his hands turned it off.

nonoise, the video shows her giving a big push to get the motor to start, but I think that might have been intentionally exaggerated for the camera. For me, initiating the push felt the same as with the MX1+.

Also - "using indoor mode since she stops and starts using the handrims" - it my test version there was no indoor mode. Unless they have decided since May 14 to include it, stopping is in conjunction with the wristband tap.

If they have completely taken the sensor out of the drive unit and moved it to the wrist, that would be major leap forward. And it looks like the wrist band has somewhat of a panic off switch too. I think Mark has a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by mishahu View Post
    Hi. When I tested it the sensor didn't respond to soft movement, but switched when it was tapped against a surface. The natural one is with your wrist against the wheel while you're in control of the handrim but could be antyhing, like while the girl in the video is pushing the shopping trolley with both hands - tapping it against the handle.

A guy at the expo says clapping his hands turned it off.

Also - "using indoor mode since she stops and starts using the handrims" - it my test version there was no indoor mode. Unless they have decided since May 14 to include it, stopping is in conjunction with the wristband tap.
    That's great! How did you get the chance to try the new SmartDrive, was it at an Expo? Thanks for all the helpful information. You're making me wish I had the newer model but I guess things will always be that way. Still, it would be nice not to have to attach two pieces. A quick on and off with the drive behind me would be very nice. I wonder all sorts of things about the wristband. Hopefully news will keep coming.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    How did you get the chance to try the new SmartDrive ... nice not to have to attach two pieces
    At the ATSA Independent Living Expo in Sydney www.atsaindependentlivingexpo.com.au.

That's why I've been waiting - since February when I stared this thread - for the MX2.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    should be more quad friendly. i'll let you know soon.
    John - let me know when the new one is available? I want one now, but I can wait for a new version. tia
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child