Thread: Green light for Electric Wheelchair - what would you choose? Amy Systems?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Green light for Electric Wheelchair - what would you choose? Amy Systems?

I have been given a green light by my HMO for a new power chair. I have had BounderPlus chairs as my last 2 chairs over the span of 25 years. I could have done this earlier but I have been to sick to fight or negotiate with anyone. Still looking at H frame as #1 and Quickie P222 SE as close 2nd but am open to others. Dealer is wanting me to look at Amy Systems rear wheel drive chair. I like these people. The rep is not pushing me, just showing what else is out there as opposed to this giant DME who tried to force feed me a chair he had in stock all as I was recovering from a heart attach.
    This will probably be my last WC and would like it to be as reliable as my Bounders. 0 trips to the shop. My brother is a maintenance man and did my bearing changes and general upkeep. I even paid for my own batteries.
    I would like a more rugged outdoor chair. I had standard Bounders that (while good off road) were set up so I could visit my grandmother about a mile plus down the hard road not counting the 1/8 plus roughest dirt road for an electric wc. She died in an automobile accident months after I had my 2nd Bounder or I would have got the H frame then.

Would like to hear all opinions. I have stomach issues so I don't check my email regualar. Thank all of you who have given good advice over the years. donnie

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Looks like a well built chair but this is the first I've heard about them. I would prefer not to order the first model from any manufacturer, not sure this is though.
    Always try to demo any wheelchair and since you have run bounders, you of course, know what to check out.

I have Permobil C500's rear wheel now since I can't trust the new manufacturer of the OmegaTrac but would love to give one of those a try.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I have the Amy System RWD and would say it is a great chair. One thing I would mention is that it is not what I would call a true RWD chair. More like a 6 wheel with the drive wheels moved rearward like a RWD. It has front and rear casters.

Which motor package did you get? The chair looks sharp but also looks like it weighs a ton. How long have you had it? thanks, Donnie

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    My Frontier X5 has rear casters and I don't care for them. Get stuff caught in them all the time and makes chair longer. Don't like suspension on it either but has great tires.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I though about amy seating on a p222 base but I told the dme that reliability is most important so he recommended sticking with quickie. I just met this guy though.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

The Amy W/Cs look like copies. The Amypower - Alltrack R looks like a Quckie 646, and the Alltrack M looks like a Pride mid-wheel and there's one on the website that looks like an Invacare.

Anybody know anything about this company?
    Robert

live free, drive fast

I did see wheelchair junkie recommend their chair to someone on his site.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

I asked my w/c tech about the Amys & he said it is a Canadian company and because of the med insurance up there, sells refurbished chairs from other manufacturers (!). I don't have that confirmed but the chairs on the website do look like other brands.
    Robert

live free, drive fast