Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a lighter EZ Lock alternative

I thought of doing that as well, but worry about safety. do you have photo of yours?

I own the Oracing that Stephen@Bike-On.com organized. My wheelchair runs straight as an arrow and cuts out any castor wobble. The EZLock bolt weighs more than the whole bracket.

Mikebox will probably do the same for you in the US.
    I originally got the idea from Junkyarddog on the forums here. His is removable.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrmmxer View Post
    Find a local welder and ask them to duplicate your bracket out of aluminum. I had a welder make my bracket out of aluminum. Obviously it still adds weight to your chair but it does cut down a substantial amount of weight. They also added nice fasteners, which allow me to remove my bracket easily if I'm traveling (airplane) and I know I'm not going to be driving on vacation or whatever the occasion.
    Good idea except it will void the EZ Lock warranty. Also no reputable NMEDA (National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association) member would ever build or repair a set up like that for you....the liability is too great. I know exactly what you are saying because I have a 12lbs. steel EZ Lock component bolted to my manual wheelchair. I'd love something lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Good idea except it will void the EZ Lock warranty. Also no reputable NMEDA (National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association) member would ever build or repair a set up like that for you....the liability is too great. I know exactly what you are saying because I have a 12lbs. steel EZ Lock component bolted to my manual wheelchair. I'd love something lighter.
    12lbs sounds awful heavy for manual wheelchair hardware.

Do you have any pictures of the Ez-Lock bracket on your manual wheelchair?

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...acket-for-sale
    here's a photo of what the 12lbs bracket looks like off a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by s2sgacia View Post
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...acket-for-sale
    here's a photo of what the 12lbs bracket looks like off a chair.

In addition to not being hardware for someone to drive (its passenger only hardware) i'd be surprised if it weighted more than 8lbs

As i recall the last let up similar to that weighted in at 6-7lbs.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

The only difference with driver hardware is a horizontal plate with the dovetail the bolts onto the front of the bracket and interlocks with the vertical dovetail mounted in the vehicle. Automotive Innovations, can you recommend a later solution? The point being is even if it's not 12 pounds exactly the bracket still is very heavy. I'm looking for a later, but still strong, alternative. That is, without having to buy any chair. At least not for now…

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    12lbs sounds awful heavy for manual wheelchair hardware.

Do you have any pictures of the Ez-Lock bracket on your manual wheelchair?

Jim
    I am too stupid and impatient to figure out how to post a pic here but you can believe me when I tell you my EZ Lock component weighs 12lbs. I had a guy at Ride Away weigh in front of me (unless their scale was inaccurate) it before they slapped it on my chair. It looks just like the pic posted by s2sgacia.