Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a lighter EZ Lock alternative

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I need a lighter EZ Lock alternative

Hello- I?m stuck with having to rely on power assist wheels because of the weight of the Ez lock bracket on my chair. I want to go 100% manual, but I can?t handle the weight. Are there any companies that will built a light bracket? Or a chair company that builds a bracket into the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by s2sgacia View Post
    Hello- I?m stuck with having to rely on power assist wheels because of the weight of the Ez lock bracket on my chair. I want to go 100% manual, but I can?t handle the weight. Are there any companies that will built a light bracket? Or a chair company that builds a bracket into the frame?
    I had Oracing design and build a chair for a customer of mine in Israel with an integrated EZ Lock bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Any idea if they could do it for a US customer? I wonder if tilite could do it too...

Any idea if they could do it for a US customer? I wonder if tilite could do it too...
    If TiLite won't/can't, I bet BoxWheelchairs could do it.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Do you need power assist just to get in your van or elsewhere, too? I ask because I keep lots of stuff loaded on my TiLite AeroZ making it quite heavy (60+ lbs), and it's still very nimble and easy to push. I use a lift to get in my car, but use an ADA ramp into my house. Has your chair (especially the toe) been adjusted correctly? Other options exist for ascending those steep van-entry ramps if that's your only dilemma (i.e., van ramp winch).
    Last edited by chasmengr; 02-22-2015 at 05:26 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

check this stuff out. very slick
    http://www.bakkflip.com/
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    check this stuff out. very slick
    http://www.bakkflip.com/
    Unless Bakkflip has redesigned this, I would not recommend this piece of equipment! We bought one several years ago when they first introduced it to the US and it never worked right! My son got stuck in his van several times because the "manual release" was way down and out of reach!!!

good to know. I have only seen it in one of those svm type truck conversions. looks really slick but if it doesn't function correctly then that sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    Unless Bakkflip has redesigned this, I would not recommend this piece of equipment! We bought one several years ago when they first introduced it to the US and it never worked right! My son got stuck in his van several times because the "manual release" was way down and out of reach!!!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

thanks, I'll contact Mike Box. I'm a quad that drives from my chair. With the weight of the ez lock bracket on the bottom of my chair, it makes my whole day a challenge w/o power assist wheels. I believe the back flip bracket is as heavy, if not more. I'd like to find a Ti solution. making it strong and still light.

Find a local welder and ask them to duplicate your bracket out of aluminum. I had a welder make my bracket out of aluminum. Obviously it still adds weight to your chair but it does cut down a substantial amount of weight. They also added nice fasteners, which allow me to remove my bracket easily if I'm traveling (airplane) and I know I'm not going to be driving on vacation or whatever the occasion.