Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Need advice on ordering Tilite TR3 and COG

Without side guards and a tight fitted chair, the tires would "eat up/destroy" any clothing resting against tires while you propel yourself. This would happen fairly quick.

TRA: I did try and TRA and it seemed much heavier than 2 lbs. heavier... perhaps it was an older model. I will look into that.

SIDEGUARDS: Sounds good. I see a few options: The extra small aluminum ones seem like they would do the job. (Though they are listed in the options catalog but not the order form.) Removable seems like a good idea. Anyone have a preference?

WHEELS: Anyone have any experience with Golz TWIN-STAR Exchange? My Spinergy LXs tend to bend into the frame around tight corners. These Golz are supposed to be more rigid. There's been some discussion on another thread about them.. but not too much. Good wheel or Maintenance nightmare?

If you don't mind springing for the extra cost, I like the carbon fiber side-guards; I like the look, they are also lighter for what it is worth. But if you don't care, aluminum or carbon fiber are fine. I use the removable versions, in standard size.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Ok... now I'm getting cold feet about the TR3 vs. the adjustable TRA. There certainly doesn't appear to be much difference. I can live with 2 lbs. of weight for the flexibility. But... Can anyone with TRA experience attest to the solidity of the frame? Does the adjustable back height mechanism make noise? Also... adjusting the COG looks tricky because the rear axle mounts to the frame that is angled for the dump. (2" in my case) Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by TogsT8 View Post
    ...clip... adjusting the COG looks tricky because the rear axle mounts to the frame that is angled for the dump...clip... (2" in my case) Is it?
    Excellent observation. I have the earlier version of that mounting hardware on my 3D and yes you are correct. Move the COG and the dump changes and so that affects the COG more that expected one way or the other. The dump has to be readjusted where it should have been. It just means more steps, perfectly doable. I don't understand your adjustable back height question. Are you wondering if the uprights will wiggle with the addition of the Jayback? I don't know, maybe someone does.

I've been puzzling over your dump method, "17.5" Rear Seat Height (Was 18.5) (16.00" with loosened seat upholstery)". It apparently worked at 18 inch seat width, but at 16 inch width I'm not so sure. Think about it. The radius is shorter and your hips will be squeezed between the edges more than they were before.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I don't understand your adjustable back height question. Are you wondering if the uprights will wiggle with the addition of the Jayback? I don't know, maybe someone does.

I was not clear. I was only wondering about the adjustable brackets that control the rear seat height. How solid are they? Do they creek at all? ONe thing I really like about my TR3 is the solidity of the frame. I know I'll compromise on weight to get the flexibility of adjustability... but are there any other compromises?

"I've been puzzling over your dump method, "17.5" Rear Seat Height (Was 18.5) (16.00" with loosened seat upholstery)". It apparently worked at 18 inch seat width, but at 16 inch width I'm not so sure. Think about it. The radius is shorter and your hips will be squeezed between the edges more than they were before.[/QUOTE]"

Your comment here is very interesting. I hadn't considered that my old method of dealing with inadequate rear seat height would be affected by the narrower new chair. Hmmm... more reason to go for the TRA.

Looking at the order forms: Does anyone know why the TR3 has a minimum wheel spacing of .75" with 2 degrees of camber. The TRA has a min. of 1" with 2 degrees of camber.

I've noticed that too and I think it's because if it didn't have that much spacing the wheels would contact the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by TogsT8 View Post
    Looking at the order forms: Does anyone know why the TR3 has a minimum wheel spacing of .75" with 2 degrees of camber. The TRA has a min. of 1" with 2 degrees of camber.

I do not know why there is a 1/4" minimum difference between the two chairs, but the need for a minimum amount of space when using camber is to keep the tire from rubbing your side-guard, or whatever.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I again have to also suggest getting an adjustable frame till you for sure have your measurements down to a tee. Which is why i have a aero R after 5 years with it i still am tweaking things. So my next chair is perfect.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009