Thread: Adaptive Sports in South Florida

Adaptive Sports in South Florida

Hello! I'm new here, and I'm really hoping someone can help me find somewhere to do sports in South FL. Primarily looking in the Miami area, but will travel to Broward if need be. I've heard about the adaptive sailing down here, but nothing good. I also know of a wheelchair rugby team, but no idea where it is and who to contact about it.
    Thank you!

There are a few sled hockey teams in Florida. Not sure if you are on facebook or not, but doing a search on Florida Sled Hockey should give you information on the teams, etc. There is also the Miami Heat Wheels basketball team. They are also on facebook.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Thank you for the info! I emailed the coach for the basketball team and I look forward to hearing back. Unfortunately, the sled hockey teams are too far away for me to get to. Again, I really appreciate the help

Miami has a sailing program, what's the name y'all?

It's Shake-A-Leg. I've heard from someone who has been there that they aren't very consistent in making sure that everyone is safe. I might still try it out to see for myself because I used to sail when I was AB and I miss it. It's also mainly for kids, but you can still use their facility and/or take lessons as an adult.

Here's the website http://www.shakealegmiami.org/

The Miami sailing program is Team Paradise.
    http://teamparadise.org/

For some reason, my last reply didn't actually post? The program I knew about (but didn't hear such great things about) was shake-a-leg.
    Definitely going to check out Team Paradise!
    Edit: Just checked out their website. It seems like they're part of or work with Shake-A-Leg.
    I'm still willing to try it out because I used to sail when I was AB and I miss it dearly.

Allsome! We need a sailing story from someone getting into again post-injury. There was a quad who sailed solo after her injury but she was from europe somewhere.

Found her. Her name is Hilary Lister... http://www.hilarylister.com/.
    Last edited by wheelz99; 02-19-2015 at 12:30 PM.