Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: 13 years

  1. #11
    Senior Member goldnucs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Rick,
    Do you realize that the lower your injury, if you have little pain, and other factors in your life are in place, then it's so much easier for you to move on in life?
    Not sure what you're asking me Tim, but I can tell you that I know/have known, personally, many, many SCIs from high, complete quads to low, incomplete paras. No two of us are alike; some live with more pain than others, some, less; some have good support, others don't. IMHO, I think that we all move on as we evolve and "grow ready" to do so. In my personbal experience, it took me a good 10 years to really "accept" the hand I'd been dealt following phases of self-pity, anger, etc.. In retrospect, I wish I could have gotten to acceptance much sooner and had not wasted so much of my time not being happy and not really "living" my life to its potential. We all move on on our own schedules. I am just offering a bit of perspective in the hope that it might help to shortcut their journies to a happy existence.

    rick
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

  2. #12
    There is so much crap on this thread haha.

    Tim in terms of regeneration the RMx biomatrix scaffold with autologous neural cell has potential to really increase are function and in turn independence and quality of life. Especially if after the treatment and essential rehab combined epidural stimulator. In think that be huge, you'd need money, resources, connections and luck to get that combination.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 02-22-2015 at 02:31 PM.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,707
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    34 years here and no truer words can be spoken I agree with gokdnucs 100%

    Ditto. All unhappiness grows from comparison. Comparing oneself to others, comparing the present to the past, and to an imagined future. If we can't do those things, and be resolved with hope, then letting go of the habit of comparison is the only option that can restore our happiness.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    2,698
    Someday, maybe if fate, science, or God find a way or the will, we will be saved from the things we hate most about this life. But until then, you're in the shit, ladies and gentlemen. You better learn to grow roses.
    Last edited by ala; 02-22-2015 at 06:02 PM. Reason: grammar

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Ditto. All unhappiness grows from comparison. Comparing oneself to others, comparing the present to the past, and to an imagined future. If we can't do those things, and be resolved with hope, then letting go of the habit of comparison is the only option that can restore our happiness.
    You would have to be one sad individual, to fully let go of sensation, versatility, independence, etc and completely give in to the parameters of a high quadriplegic. That's sad... To only imagine life goes and acts like that wahhh that is some thick denial, to imagine someone fully committing to that is a heartbreaking thought.

  6. #16
    Thats the real trick...learning to live your life, and look for recovery at the same time. At the same time, not becoming depressed, learning the tools to deal with depression. Meditation has become a big tool for me in the last 5 years. It's something I DO everyday. Like exercise, you have to DO it...like brushing your teeth or emptying your bowel. If I don't do it...if I use my meditation time for something else, I'll get depressed

  7. #17
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,707
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    You would have to be one sad individual, to fully let go of sensation, versatility, independence, etc and completely give in to the parameters of a high quadriplegic. That's sad... To only imagine life goes and acts like that wahhh that is some thick denial, to imagine someone fully committing to that is a heartbreaking thought.

    Quite the contrary, James. It is the depth of sadness to live obsessed with what one can not possess. There is no end to the self-inflicted pain caused by such craving, and desire, for a changeless existence in an ever-changing Universe. A tragic irony, personified. (For the record, You have swapped, in your mind, my statement about comparison with one about accepting being a quad. You are confusing the inverse of my proposition for the proposition, itself. Tsssk, tssssk, James. That simply will not do, assuming you're trying to think sensibly about what I posted.)
    Last edited by Oddity; 02-22-2015 at 06:26 PM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Quite the contrary, James. It is the depth of sadness to live obsessed with what one can not possess. There is no end to the self-inflicted pain caused by such craving, and desire, for a changeless existence in an ever-changing Universe. A tragic irony, personified. (For the record, You have swapped, in your mind, my statement about comparison with one about accepting being a quad. You are confusing the inverse of my proposition for the proposition, itself. Tsssk, tssssk, James. That simply will not do, assuming you're trying to think sensibly about what I posted.)
    It is the depth of sadness for human being to defaced to this situation, to allow people to take care of you, and do unspeakable things in a normal conversation to you. If You completely disregard that, and think that is just how it is, just how your life is nothing could be different that's extremely sad, and you are a sad individual. If you do not remember or worse disregard what it feels like to traverse the forest, feeling the different textures the world offers on your hand and body, to experience true freedom in total independence, to experience pure physical pleasure, ecstasy with another Simultaneously, to feel the water caressing your entire body etc to completely disregard these things, just think of it as well I can still feel my face, and go just were a chair can go and that's just all there is sick man!

    Not often do I see people with my tendencies, so I would never want or expect someone to have the same level of rage or disgust that I do. But never and I mean never showed another person try to encourage someone to completely disregard healthy life and completely give in to the life of a cripple. I think the problem is many people do not realize the true extent of healthy life, one of the main reasons able-bodied people remain ignorant to their gifts. Encourage people to be happy is one thing, offer practical advice, but to say embrace the parameters of a gimp and don't compare or regard what cannot be attained is fucked up.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,707
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    It is the depth of sadness for human being to defaced to this situation, to allow people to take care of you, and do unspeakable things in a normal conversation to you. If You completely disregard that, and think that is just how it is, just how your life is nothing could be different that's extremely sad, and you are a sad individual. If you do not remember or worse disregard what it feels like to traverse the forest, feeling the different textures the world offers on your hand and body, to experience true freedom in total independence, to experience pure physical pleasure, ecstasy with another Simultaneously, to feel the water caressing your entire body etc to completely disregard these things, just think of it as well I can still feel my face, and go just were a chair can go and that's just all there is sick man!

    Not often do I see people with my tendencies, so I would never want or expect someone to have the same level of rage or disgust that I do. But never and I mean never showed another person try to encourage someone to completely disregard healthy life and completely give in to the life of a cripple. I think the problem is many people do not realize the true extent of healthy life, one of the main reasons able-bodied people remain ignorant to their gifts. Encourage people to be happy is one thing, offer practical advice, but to say embrace the parameters of a gimp and don't compare or regard what cannot be attained is fucked up.

    All there is, IS the chair, James. THAT is the reality of our every waking day. Will this always be true? Of course not! Change is inevitable. No need to fret over it.

    The last thing my post intended to say, or said, matter of fact, was to suggest "giving up", as an act of desperation, creates happiness. Substituting the inverse, or converse, (you've done both) for my proposition is not an argument against it. Here it is, as a simple "If P, then Q": If you don't stop comparing, then you won't find happiness. It's contraposition, equally true: if you are unhappy, then you are comparing.

    I'm not telling you, or anyone, what (or how) to feel about their life. I'm simply stating something that is objectively true: the root of unhappiness. If you doubt this, the challenge is to discover an existence of unhappiness that does not owe it's basis to comparison. Your feelings, on display here, about life with an SCI, certainly support my assertion. "Rage", "disgust", "humiliating". You continue to compare yourself to the past, and to others, and equally continue in your negative feelings. Not an accident. Cause and effect.

    The most practical advice anyone unhappy can possibly receive is about the nature of unhappiness. Knowledge, not ignorance.

    I'm not saying it's easy, so don't presume that I am. I'm saying it is true. Like it, or not.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    "Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

  10. #20
    I Don't disagree with you that comparison is the root of unhappiness, just like the unknown is the root of all fear. I never use the word giving up btw, but what you're suggesting is giving in to the chair and disability liked it or not. Do what you can to be happy, in this tragic situation. but do not set your standards so low to disregard the better freedoms, sensations and pleasures. Not arguing with you, I'm straight up telling you what you're suggesting is extremely sad if someone follows the advice. Even if the person themselves is or thinks they are happy, it's still extremely sad, especially to someone that lives in or at least remembers what life was like (especially from the perspective of someone that put those subtle differences and major differences to full use). God forbid You would say that crap to a newly injured people, especially incompletes. That drive to regain what was lost is what inspires people to get out of their chairs, if you are lucky enough and hard-working enough to achieve it. Watch a Christopher Reeves interview listen to what he says, "Touch my wife, hug my child that's what they deserve", " I will walk again". That inspired people for so long, even after his death.

    "was to suggest "giving up", as an act of desperation, creates happiness. Substituting the inverse, or converse, (you've done both)" what have I done now haha?
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 02-22-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
  2. Its been 5 years since
    By Rdhudson in forum Life
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 09:49 AM
  3. Really .. 70 Years Ago????
    By Obieone in forum Life
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 07:17 PM
  4. Next Five Years
    By Christopher Paddon in forum Cure
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 08:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •