Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBD Pills or Oil to Treat Clonus/Spasms?

CBD Pills or Oil to Treat Clonus/Spasms?

Has anyone tried using CBD pills or oils to treat their clonus, and if so, did you have any luck?

I'm specifically asking about the legal CBD pills/oil you can buy in stores or on Amazon, for instance; not CBD from actually smoking cannabis.

I know that clonus can be beneficial in that it helps maintain muscle tone, but I'm having a pretty awful bout with it at the moment and haven't had more than a minute or two without my legs spasming for what is going on a week now.

I've never really taken medication specifically for it -- I was given generic Flexeril way back when but it didn't do anything -- and I would like to stay off of stronger medications if possible. I also stretch nearly every day, and have since the beginning, to no real avail. I currently take Oxycodone at night for pain, and that normally helps with the clonus, too. The past week or so, though, it has not.

Thanks in advance for your input, and I hope everyone had great holidays and is doing well.

P.S. - Before anyone comments saying that I should consider giving cannabis a try, I'm already all for that, haha. I'm just looking for something legal where I live at the moment to try during days, etc. And, only during times such as this where it's much, much worse than it normally is.

Edit: If you have had luck with this, could you please let me know what brand you tried? Thank you.
    Last edited by User Name; 02-15-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Flexeril is a drug for the type of muscle spasms that you get after a muscle injury or strain, not for spasms or spasticity due to central nervous system injury (SCI, TBI, CVA, etc.).

Most often medications used for spasticity (and which sometimes also help with spasms) are baclofen, tizanadine, dantrolene, or diazepam. Some do find that THC helps, but I don't know if the chemical in actually THC is in the Cannabidiol you reference. I do know that it is not contained in Marinol.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 02-15-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Flexeril is a drug for the type of muscle spasms that you get after a muscle injury or strain, not for spasms or spasticity due to central nervous system injury (SCI, TBI, CVA, etc.).

Most often medications used for spasticity (and which sometimes also help with spasms) are baclofen, tizanadine, dantrolene, or diazepam. Some do find that THC helps, but I don't know if the chemical in actually THC is in the Cannabidiol you reference. I do not that it is not contained in Marinol.

(KLD)
    Well, that certainly explains why Flexeril didn't help me at all. That is why they prescribed it to me, though; it's not surprising they were wrong, given all the other issues I ran into.

I had never heard of Marinol, but after looking into it, yes, it appears to be some type of synthetic THC. THC and CBD are different compounds, however. They are both found in marijuana -- THC is what causes the "high" feeling, while CBD doesn't. That's why it can be sold as medication (for children who suffer from seizures, for instance) and THC is still illegal.

Thank you for your reply, 'Nurse. I appreciate it.

Haven't tried the oils or pills that you describe but the Medical MJ dispensaries here in Oregon offer a wide variety of high CBD oils.

I use a vape pen because it allows easy dosage control.

All of the high CBD oils that i've tried from 1% THC / 40% CBD to a 35/35 oil help with my spasticity, spasms, clonus, and pain.

Jeff
    Doh!

I have tried every strain of pot that my licence producer grows and the one that works best for me is the only one they have with high 7% CBN. All their other strains have 0-1%cbn and do not work as well for spasms. Like Jeff I vaporize mine, easy to regulate with instant results.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Haven't tried the oils or pills that you describe but the Medical MJ dispensaries here in Oregon offer a wide variety of high CBD oils.

I use a vape pen because it allows easy dosage control.

All of the high CBD oils that i've tried from 1% THC / 40% CBD to a 35/35 oil help with my spasticity, spasms, clonus, and pain.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by willvape View Post
    I have tried every strain of pot that my licence producer grows and the one that works best for me is the only one they have with high 7% CBN. All their other strains have 0-1%cbn and do not work as well for spasms. Like Jeff I vaporize mine, easy to regulate with instant results.

Will
    Thanks, Jeff and Will. I appreciate your comments. I'll have to keep the CBN levels in mind, too.

It's difficult living in a place that doesn't yet have even medicinal, because it's not like most people can give you the stats on what they have, you know? But, Pennsylvania and Ohio are not the best places to live 6 months out of the year, so I'm looking into moving anyway. While access to medicinal/recreational marijuana would by no means be the deciding factor, it is certainly something I would like to try, and therefore take into consideration.

Vaping is enjoyable, though, I agree. What I have tried was always hybrid, but far more Sativa, so I didn't necessarily feel many benefits other than it being fun.

While Marijuana certainly does help spasticity it has many, many chemicals in it and side effects and there are may medication that are easily covered by insurance such as baclofen and tizanidine. There can be severe spasticity in SCI which consists of spasms and severe increased tone where the muscles stiffen up. If you haven't been on medication and can tolerate not being on medication then it is doubtful that you have severe spasticity from SCI. Nor am i a proponent of marijuana for the tx of Spasticity-or maybe as a last resort!. There is and has been a medical form of marijuana available for years-called marinol.
    CWO

While Marijuana certainly does help spasticity it has many, many chemicals in it and side effects and there are may medication that are easily covered by insurance such as baclofen and tizanidine. There can be severe spasticity in SCI which consists of spasms and severe increased tone where the muscles stiffen up. If you haven't been on medication and can tolerate not being on medication then it is doubtful that you have severe spasticity from SCI. Nor am i a proponent of marijuana for the tx of Spasticity-or maybe as a last resort!. There is and has been a medical form of marijuana available for years-called marinol.
    CWO
    Yeah but baclofen and tizandine turn you into a half-brain dead zombie and woe to the person that forgets a dose cause withdrawal from them is awful.

And most of us know that marinol is a bad joke for it's lack of efficacy.

Suit yourself, but medical marijuana does help, the side effects can be minimized, it's non-addictive, and to consider it a last resort (after mind-numbing and addictive pharmaceuticals) is simply close-minded.

YMMV
    Jeff
    Doh!

CWO
    One of the reasons I weaned myself off all the RX meds was because of all the chemicals and side effects! I vaporize marijuana, there are no carcinogens , benzene or any of the bad chemicals from smoking it, as far as I'm concerned this is by far the healthiest way for me to deal with my pain and spasms with no side effects other than maybe a better appetite. I consider myself lucky that it is legal and available for me.

Will

This is by no means meant in a rude way, but I'm not really interested in debating medicinal marijuana's pros and cons, save its effectiveness in relieving my symptoms. By all means, if other users would like to in this thead, I don't mind, but please don't be offended if I don't join in. My only statement on that particular topic is that while I don't think it is the end-all-be-all cure for everything -- which no level headed person does -- I do think its benefits far outweigh its risks, in both medicinal and recreational use.

As far as not having clonus or spasticity issues, my legs shaking nearly nonstop for over a week disagree. After my first spinal surgery, and subsequent syrinx(s) that were large enough that they required a plastic surgeon to rejoin the muscles in my back, I didn't take any pain medication for the first few years, either; even though my back felt like I had a hole in the middle of it, and my legs felt like flaming knives were stabbing through them 24/7, and was nearly bedridden because of it. I respectfully disagree that "being able to tolerate not being on medication" is a sign that there isn't an issue that should be remedied. Some of us have had terrible doctors in the past -- as evidenced by them prescribing me the wrong type of medication for the issue, and not spotting that I had a giant syrinx that was quite literally tearing my back apart -- and some of us are rather adept at handling pain and discomfort.

As far as Marinol being a (synthetic) form of medicinal marijuana, there is another form, as well: Marijuana. I was asking about the potential of these more natural methods because I would like to be able to stay off of things produced in a lab, that have far and away worse repercussions.

If it wouldn't work, then moving on to a pharmaceutical would be something I'd need to consider, but I'd like to try a more natural route first.