So...I am thinking of spec'ing a chair, and/or fixing my old chair.

Some background: Insurance did not pick up this chair, and I use the chair out in the community to conserve energy and not fall down (I have Cerebral Palsy, still walk a bit...but when distance or people are involved, I need my chair. Mostly because fatigue makes me more likely to fall, and also because (to put it bluntly), people don't pay a lick of attention and if they bump into me, I will go down).

I've been told that because I don't use the chair in my home (I walk with crutches or wall-walk and my family makes sure not to bump into me) - insurance will not cover it. I've also heard rumor that done right, insurance might pick it up in selected cases.

I have a dual-camber Quickie R2 at this time. I love it, and it's still going pretty strong. However, I kiltered (ruined) the 12 degree setting on one side. It is no longer perfectly round which makes putting an axle in it not possible (it got a burr or something...maybe). As a result I've only had 3 degree camber available to me which has made for some fatiguing situations.

At this time I work in a tight office, where a 28" chair fits okay most places. I also ride the city bus back and forth to work which has a 30" wide ramp and is often tight inside with lots of people and/or other mobility devices on board. I have some tiny hallways too I must be able to navigate around (one is 36" wide, but one direction, and I can spin my chair and turn around without bumping the wall if I'm careful...it beats running in reverse to get in/out of there).

However, while I need a skinny chair to fit in tight places, I also need the dual camber option so that I can switch to more camber in larger places (currently 12 degrees, 31.75" overall width). I am often required to go to faraway places or to commute to doctor's appts in large hospitals without the benefit of the bus dropping me off close by. In places such as that, or the local Super WalMart / Target / other stores, 12 degree camber is a real shoulder saver because it makes me less fatigued when I get to my destination. 3 degree camber is notably different after commuting the same long distance (more fatigue and shoulder discomfort).

I am strongly considering seeing if an Invacare A4 camber system will fit on a Quickie R2, but haven't opted to spend the out of pocket cash yet. Is there any chance that insurance would pick this up due to my fatigue issues justifying it? Even partially? While different brands, I think the camber system could be tweaked to fit. At least I'm hoping so, because I'd rather not give up my Quickie R2.

Otherwise, is there any chance that my insurance would pick up an Invacare A4 (or similar with that dual camber system)? I think it's cheaper for all parties involved to just buy the darn camber bar, but I realize insurance may get fussy and want to buy a whole new chair. If that is true, I'll be sure to come back here for help spec'ing. Also, any clue on where to get an Invacare A4 demo? The local DME's I've spoken with here will special order, but I haven't found one that will let me demo (especially something as obscure as an Invacare A4). So they're essentially telling me to buy it / go for it totally blind and that's not the way I'm comfortable doing my chairs.

Thanks so much for any guidance you can give, and thanks for reading this long post.

Take care,
Mystery