Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where should I go on vacation?

Where should I go on vacation?

So I'm struggling with this question right now. Cumulatively in the next 4 years I will have 55 days of vacation if I am very lucky, however before I start I've got May 10th (ish) to June 30th off with nothing to do.

It's too much of a decision for me, so I want you all to chime in.

I first thought London, but for very odd reasons (I'm a big fan of early 2000s London hip hop). I've never been to europe and always wanted to when I was young, dumb and full of... ambition.

Second though was Barcelona. I speak a bit of spanish (and honestly the fact that they speak english in London is a bit of a downer, I'm up for a confusing, frustration sign language style translation of everything). At some point I read Barcelona was one of the most W/C accessible cities in the whole wide world (something about the Olympic games coming there, I'm sure). Plus the euro is super cheap atm (I'm from the US).

I'd be up for an Asian trip, but the long ass flight kinda bugs me. Anything more than 10 hours or so in a plane and I wanna kill myself (and everyone else).

I've always wanted to go to south america (but on a motorcycle), and I can't think of a destination in particular. I'm not scared in the least of "violence", but I suspect Bogata, Medellin and Caracas aren't the most wheelchair accessible cities.

Germany is an option as well, since at some point a German dude passed on his Y chromosome down the line to me along with his last name, but politically I'm not really on Merkel's side of the ball court (but who cares who the Chancellor is... innit??)

I've always liked the idea of spending some time in Buenos Aires, but that seems like a bitch of a plane flight... plus I know for a fact that if I had to ship anything down there in an emergency I'd have no hope of getting it through their corrupt customs system.

So basically I want other WC users input. Where should I go?
    *T8ish complete.

Oh, and I will be traveling alone, because I am an antisocial type slash I don't know anyone with enough money or a passport to come along.

Blog Entries
    If I was contemplating a trip, I'd consider taking a DMT trip. It'd be cheaper, only take 15 minutes, and I could use the rest of my time off trying to come to terms with WTF just happened!

(P.s. I'd pick London, or Germany. Why? Friends in London, ancestral village in Rhineland. Hell, I'd probably do both.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    If I was contemplating a trip, I'd consider taking a DMT trip. It'd be cheaper, only take 15 minutes, and I could use the rest of my time off trying to come to terms with WTF just happened!

(P.s. I'd pick London, or Germany. Why? Friends in London, ancestral village in Rhineland. Hell, I'd probably do both.)
    I appreciate your suggestion for a "trip". I'd considered an amazonian journey with a bit of ayahuasca, but I don't really fancing the puking and diarrhea that come with it. DMT seems a reasonable alternative, however since silk road got busted and I'm becoming old I'm afraid I have no reliable source nor desire to sort one out.

What is your ancestral village in the Rhineland? Maybe I'll drop by.

Blog Entries
    Indeed, ayahuasca is not for the feint of heart, or spinal cord injured. Not without lots of adult diapers, at least! Gotta love SCI...

Good news is, DMT is in nearly everything! With some basic organic chemistry chops isolating it is easy, peasy, lemon squeezy! Reference, The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants. It's incredible just how far one's mind can get from one's body with the aid of common house plants.

I digress...

My family was noted as the first on record as having left Jettenbach, following the 30 years war, for America. Late 17th century. They went back to circa 1100 CE in that region, ~1230's in Jettenbach.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Where are you now? Your injury level? I'm a T6 complete and was in my 50's when I did these bits. I've done 3 weeks around England and Scotland alone by car. Crawling into B&B's. I've gone from US to Guatemala by Jeep, with the intent to go through South America, but the hurricane got to Guatemala at the same time so that ended that. I've been in every state in the US in Jeep or motorhome.

Blog Entries
    That sounds awesome, baldfatdad. I used to ride around the country on my trusty GS, camping, riding, camping, riding, etc, etc. Did the ALCan with a buddy the year before my injury. I think an open top Jeep is a darn good substitute for the GS, considering the need to haul a wheelchair around, too. Sounds ways better than flying somewhere, renting a car, etc. Funklab, you could still pull off that South America trip, with a decent enough Jeep! Load up a duffle bag and some panniers, put 'Em in the back, maybe a gas can (or two); it'd be almost like the old days!

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Where are you now? Your injury level? I'm a T6 complete and was in my 50's when I did these bits. I've done 3 weeks around England and Scotland alone by car. Crawling into B&B's. I've gone from US to Guatemala by Jeep, with the intent to go through South America, but the hurricane got to Guatemala at the same time so that ended that. I've been in every state in the US in Jeep or motorhome.
    I'm T8 or so complete and I'm living in the southeast US. I like the Rockies and the four corners desert region pretty well and I'll probably wander that way by default if I can't come up with another trip I really want to do.

Tell me more about your UK trip, it sounds like the kinda thing I would do. I could get down with touring some Scottish distilleries and bringing back a couple bottles of Isla. Was it expensive to rent a car? Was it hard to find an automatic to rent?

I think an open top Jeep is a darn good substitute for the GS
    Meh, you only think it's a good substitute because the jeep weighs a few hundred pounds less than a fully farkled GS...

just kidding, one day I'm gonna bolt a sidecar onto one of them and get back on the road.

Funklab, you could still pull off that South America trip, with a decent enough Jeep! Load up a duffle bag and some panniers, put 'Em in the back, maybe a gas can (or two); it'd be almost like the old days!
    Oh the trip is still getting done... I just have to have a little more than six weeks and a lot more money for the ride... give me six or eight years.

Funklab. Send me a PM and I can give you the two lane road route we took out west. I'm in Daytona so it should be pretty close to what you would do.

I got a car with airline ticket in England. Don't remember the cost. It was a VW with auto. Shook like a freight train at about 80mph. I make my own temporary hand controls, so that was no problem. The navigating on two lane roads full of round-abouts was the hardest part. Stayed in B&B's, so ate breakfast there. Then dinner at local pubs. Best place to meet the locals. They have little booths outside the small towns in England that hook you up with the locals that are renting out rooms. I had to crawl into most of them, but worth it. Sometimes I found an Au Suite on the first floor. Au Suite has its own bath room. Best one was an old insane asylum in Scotland. Two foot thick walls.

I'd like to do a barge on the canals, but it would take at least one or two AB's to go along.

If you are heading west May-June. There are a couple BBQ fests in Memphis and Kansas City around then.