Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miami project opens recruitment for chronic SCI

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    Im going to give them my info and see if I hear from them and go from there. Its worth talking to them at least. I'm pretty certain I qualify. But I've never had an MRI. So im not sure if they do that or want you to have already had one that they can look at.
    I believe I am going to do the same and see what happens. It wont hurt to talk to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You don't believe them based on what? Why would they make such claims if there wasn't data from animal studies to support it?
    Based on that I've never seen an image of robust axon regeneration in a Schwann cell study (I've seen them in PTEN (relatively speaking) & NSC + Fibrin). I've not read any in years. If you can show me one from a reputable source, I'd say I'm wrong.

They've been studying schwann cells for how long now? 5 years? No! At least 25 years!

Did Dr. Young ever run Schwann cell experiments in his lab at some point in the last quarter century??
    Last edited by Nowhere Man; 02-13-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    I believe I am going to do the same and see what happens. It wont hurt to talk to them.
    i'd say that having a few of us older cc members to get involved in these trials would sure do a greater convincing testemonial... great news that other companies opening new trials...

You don't believe them based on what? Why would they make such claims if there wasn't data from animal studies to support it?
    No one could replicate their three-prong deal years ago in any other lab.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    Trial enrollment will target 2 cohorts. The first cohort will be thoracic (T) level 2-12 ASIA Impairment Scale (AIS) grade A, B, or C (n = up to 4), the second cohort will be cervical (C) level 5 through T1 AIS A, B, or C (n = up to 6). Two (2) participants with AIS grade A will be enrolled prior to enrolling a participant with AIS B or C, applicable to both cohorts.

By cohorts they mean groups. The ASIA A group will be 2 participants, other group, up to 8.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    No one could replicate their three-prong deal years ago in any other lab.
    About riproducibility in general:

"Errors can potentially emerge from a practice called - data dredging: When an initial hypothesis doesn't pan out, the researcher will scan the data for something that looks like a story"...
    "
    There is an aphorism: "If you torture the data long enough, they will confess." You can always get the data to produce something that is publishable, says the Center for Open Science's Nosek, who is a University of Virginia professor of psychology."

Link

In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    A minimum of 12 months would be exclusively chronic.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    Yeah tomsonite, you accidentally had that backwards
    What did I get backwards? The trial says a person's SCI must be minimum 12 months old - aka, one year. I do not consider one year chronic, as some people may take longer to reach a stable ASIA score.

If the minimum time after injury was 24 months, then I'd say this trial is exclusively chronic.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    What did I get backwards? The trial says a person's SCI must be minimum 12 months old - aka, one year. I do not consider one year chronic, as some people may take longer to reach a stable ASIA score.

If the minimum time after injury was 24 months, then I'd say this trial is exclusively chronic.
    Yes, a "minimum" of twelve months or older, they are looking for injuries OLDER than 24 months ...chronic to very chronic
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

I didn't agree with treating someone before 2 years because they are still naturally healing. But who knows, maybe it is the time to treat. We have a lot to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    Yes, a "minimum" of twelve months or older, they are looking for injuries OLDER than 24 months ...chronic to very chronic
    This trial is recruiting people with injuries 12 months or older.

My argument is that 12 months (or anything under 24 months) is NOT a chronic injury. Natural neurological recovery is still possible up to 24 months after injury. Only after 24 months is a person's neurological function likely to be stable enough that any recovery they experience from that point on is not due to natural healing.

If this trial wanted to test schwann cells on truly chronic, neurologically stable SCI, they should make the requirement for eligibility 24+ months post injury. However, it is not. People whose injuries are less than 24 months old, and therefore who may experience natural recovery that would have occured without schwann cells anyway, are eligible for this trial. Thus, this is not an exclusively chronic SCI trial.