Thread: Lumbrosacral injuries

Lumbrosacral injuries

Is there anything going on for those with lower level injuries? I am L1/L2, and it doesn't seems as though there is much research that includes these type of injuries. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Yea I am a T12 but most of my damage is LMN. So I do not respond to stim used here in the US. I am not saying there is nothing out there but definitely at the back of the line. Have met with Wise and Dr. Harkema and while they are looking into and wanting to do stuff it will more than likely be after UMN damage stuff is done.

Obviously I am thankful my injury is low enough to allw myself to live on my own but until after I was injured I never would of guess in terms of research and potential therapies and cures being lower was not a good thing. LMN injuries are excluded from nearly every trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Oocofficial View Post

Is there anything going on for those with lower level injuries? I am L1/L2, and it doesn't seems as though there is much research that includes these type of injuries. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Our lab at Rutgers (Dr. Wise Young's) is working very hard on lumbosacral injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Our lab at Rutgers (Dr. Wise Young's) is working very hard on lumbosacral injuries.

I emailed Leif Havton to find out more regards what he's doing but never got a reply. I guess we can cross that one off the list...

Only Russia including lumbar injuries in their trial.
    Wise Young is very much being waited for some news from his lumbosacral studies.
    Wesmaister you are right. Leif never replies. Looks he did not get effective results.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    Obviously I am thankful my injury is low enough to allw myself to live on my own but until after I was injured I never would of guess in terms of research and potential therapies and cures being lower was not a good thing. LMN injuries are excluded from nearly every trial.
    It strange isn't it. On one hand we obviously have more function than those injuried higher up yet when it comes to a potential treatment we are at the back of the queue although sometimes it feels like we aren't even in the queue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    Yea I am a T12 but most of my damage is LMN. So I do not respond to stim used here in the US. I am not saying there is nothing out there but definitely at the back of the line. Have met with Wise and Dr. Harkema and while they are looking into and wanting to do stuff it will more than likely be after UMN damage stuff is done.

Hi Lyerly, I guess we should have more or less the same injury, I'm T12/L1, no bone damages in the accident, my injury is coming from some kind of dislocation, is it the same for you ?.. My adductors and psoas are working pretty well, and I have very weak quadriceps on both sides. I'm not walking using crutches because it's easier to everyday live in a wheelchairs, besides I think it's dangerous to walk with a spinal cord injury, without feeling in your legs, and it's easy to fall down and broke your legs. Using a wheelchairs is for me a better choice..
    Anyway I believe that D trials will be useful for us, and I guess D12 and L levels are not in trials because peripheral nerves are likely to be damaged too. To my knowledge it's easier to repair peripheral nerves than central ones, so I guess if it's ok for D injuries, it will be ok for us too..