Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PROGRESS AND PROSPECTS OF CHRONIC SPINAL CORD INJURY RESEARCH in 2014 and 2015

Yes but have they restored significant function? And isn't dr. Edger looking at working with chronic injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    The study hasn't even opened for the NeuralRecovery Tech. human trial recruitment yet. ARM/HAND LINK & LEG LINK
    It's my understanding that Dr. Edgerton is impressed with results that he's seen so far. Both of the clinical trial links I already posted today said "Spinal cord injury 1 or more years prior". I don't know what you think that criteria would mean.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-16-2015 at 07:43 PM.

I understand, but I was referring to the "thousands" you mentioned that have had similar stimulation on their arms in the past. They were doing something along thous lines when I was in rehab, I couldn't participate because of the severity of my injury. And a incomplete friend of mine did, and I've never heard or read of anything that has restored significant arm and/ or hand function. If it is there, I could have missed it that's why I asked. None the less I am very excited to hear about this.

This is by far the best summary available. EndParaylsis is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    This is by far the best summary available. EndParaylsis is on it.
    Thank you Chaz19!
    Please LIKE and SHARE our Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/endparalysis
    and follow us on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/endparalysis
    Corinne
    www.endparalysis.org

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I understand, but I was referring to the "thousands" you mentioned that have had similar stimulation on their arms in the past. They were doing something along thous lines when I was in rehab, I couldn't participate because of the severity of my injury. And a incomplete friend of mine did, and I've never heard or read of anything that has restored significant arm and/ or hand function. If it is there, I could have missed it that's why I asked. None the less I am very excited to hear about this.
    Hi JamesMcM, Just like you I look forward to the publication. I think that there is a big risk that people, in the SCI community, confuse the mere response of nerves and muscles to a machine (which might help living, especially for quads) and restoration of function. If nothing happens anymore after you turn the stimulator off, I would personally NOT speak about RESTORING function, but rather of some compensatory approach that, however useful it can be, should not be confused with recovery or regeneration. The problem here, is that we do not know! If some functions or some sensations remain present after turning off the device, then yes, it's new and it's interesting. So, bottom line, we need to see a publication!!! It is exactly the same in the case of CRDF big idea, please do document the claimed improvement of bladder, bowel and sexual improvement! Let us switch from anecdotes to scientific facts please!!! Quite some interesting progress claimed for many therapeutic strategies do lack underpinning or transparency. It's frustrating but we, patients, in the meantime, have to remain very critical of what is "sold" to us while also recognizing the potential of this progress and working for more!
    Corinne. EndParalysis foundation. www.endparalysis.org
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/endparalysis
    Follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/endparalysis
    Last edited by Corinne Jeanmaire; 03-12-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: minor details