Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Found a hard pea sized lump in my breast.

Found a hard pea sized lump in my breast.

The right one ... The strange thing is that it's near the nipple, not where the lymphnodes would be.

So it's probably just a benign cyst since it's not close to the lymphnodes right?

Never did get a mammogram - not accessible.

I'm 42. My mother and grandmother had breast cancer. My mother lost one and had radiation burns on her neck for the rest of her life.

Today it's a little tender. To the touch - probably from me poking it. Found it two days ago.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

It is probably nothing, but with your history and age, you really need to see your provider, and you need to get a mammogram. Breast cancer does not start in the lymph nodes near the breast...it spreads to them. Ductal breast cancer can start near the nipple. This could be nothing, but you cannot tell that by self-exam. Please see your provider ASAP.

(KLD)

Damn. Thanks. I hate 2015 already. I see a nurse every other day for a wound on my rump .. I have issues with my bowel now as well as bladder. I had another fall (thanks D's locks) and over-stretched my abdomen.

AND my chair's broken despite the move to acquire a new one almost a year ago. I called a different store this morning.

I didn't mention it to a young nurse, but did yesterday to someone older.

She was going to send a note to my doc. Nothing is accessible - so frustrating. It's why I put things off.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 02-09-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Not sure about Canada but here in the states there are providers that have mammogram machines that raise and lower so you can wheel right up and under the plates for the mammogram without having to get out of your chair. Maybe there are places that have these machines in Canada?

Good Luck!

Ductal breast cancer can appear anywhere in the breast - as KLD says, breast cancer spreads to the nodes, it doesn't start there. I was treated for a pea-sized ductal breast cancer in 2001 (the mass would have started growing 6-8 years earlier), and because it was so small and had not spread to the lymph glands, lumpectomy and radiation eradicated it completely. Don't wait to see your doctor for a diagnosis - no matter how difficult access is, if this is a small cancer, time is of the essence. The usual diagnostic process involves a clinical exam, mammogram and/or ultrasound, and needle biopsy; if cancer is detected, 1-3 lymph nodes closest to the breast will be examined for malignant cells (this is called a sentinel node biopsy).

Don't worry about radiation harming you in the same way it did your mother. Cancer treatment has changed radically since that time. I had brachytherapy, which involves the insertion and withdrawal of a radioactive pellet through catheters in the breast, 10-minute treatments twice a day for 5 days; the radiation dose is equivalent to 5 weeks of external beam therapy. This treatment was possible for me because the cancer was so small, its area confined, and margins of excision free of disease. Delivery systems for external beam radiation have also improved dramatically, so that well trained doctors and technicians can determine precise dosages and minimize scatter.

My family history is very much like yours - my mother, maternal grandmother and sister had breast cancer. Do not wait, get this checked out. You might have a cyst, but breast cancers are typically harder than cysts and they don't move around when you palpate them - either way, it takes experienced clinicians to make the diagnosis and nothing should be assumed, especially with your history.

If this is cancer and you catch it now, you can be treated with much less difficulty than if you wait to see if the lump gets bigger. If it's a cyst, you can breathe a sigh of relief. But you need to find out what you're dealing with.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Yeah it's not moving around. FFS.

I called the doc this morning ... can't get in but he runs a clinic tonight from 5-8pm or I can wait until Wednesday for the female doc who runs the clinic in the afternoon. That's my plan for now.

They have the better machine in London - 2hrs away from me. Not in Windsor so I'll ask for an ultrasound. I think it will give s better picture of things.

Not mentioning on Facebook to family or friends until I know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks Bonnette for your post especially.

I'm so glad you're getting this checked out. Ultrasound will do very nicely, it's at least as good as mammograms for detection of suspicious lumps (the only reason it hasn't replaced uncomfortable mammograms here in the US is money/infrastructure). My breast surgeon orders ultrasound followups for me, as I have pectus excavatum which makes mammograms difficult. More and more breast cancer centers are screening high-risk patients with MRI, but the cost is prohibitive in most cases.

No matter what this turns out to be, early detection will free your mind from the awful anxiety of not knowing. You're wise to go where the machines are better, and to maintain "radio silence" until you know what you're dealing with. I hope there will end up being nothing whatever to share on social media and with family/friends, but if there is, by keeping silent for awhile you'll have the chance to think, plan and make decisions with as little external pressure as possible. My best wishes go with you.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

I also found a lump in one of my breasts several years ago turned out to be a cyst. But i too have history similar to yours was glad i got it checked out. I actually went to a breast surgeon. They did an ultrasound because like where you are there were no accessible machines.

good luck i hope for your sake it turns out to be nothing as well.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

My sister said I'm at higher risk because I never had children or breastfed. Is that an old wives' tale?

She has smoked for 20yrs, quit for 10 and took it up again at 50! She's 53 now. She's been getting tested, because of our family history since she was 35 (aunt on my dad's side as well who chose not to receive treatment).