Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: foley catheter came out by itself

foley catheter came out by itself

Today my catheter came out by itself ! My caregiver insert a new one and all good now. But the balloon was filled so how is that possible ? Is it something serious

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Blocked and you peed it out like a stone. Some times bladder just goes hard against foreign object.

Small SP or dual balloon (Poiesis Duette) may be less irritating.
    Last edited by zagam; 02-04-2015 at 01:34 AM. Reason: got to be something better

the balloon may have been defective and had a small hole in it.

It is always good before you place a new catheter to check the balloon by filling it to check it, deflate it then insert it.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    the balloon may have been defective and had a small hole in it.

It is always good before you place a new catheter to check the balloon by filling it to check it, deflate it then insert it.

pbr
    I read on this site you should never fill the balloon to check it. But my urologist did it too. My own opinion, I don't do it I think it weakens it. Can we take poll on this.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

That has happened to me also, The balloon obviously did not hold anything. Luckily I was in bad when it happened. I never checked those before they are put in. That's only happened one time in 25 years
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Correction to above...you could fill the balloon with air instead of water to check the potency of the balloon.

pbr

Actually, current evidence-based practice is to NOT pre-inflate balloons on indwelling catheters. Especially on silicone catheters, this can leave small ridges and folds on the surface of the catheter that can cause urethral trauma when inserting the catheter. The major catheter manufacturer in the USA (BARD) states clearly on their literature that catheter balloon testing should NOT be done. It is less traumatic to have to reinsert a new catheter in the rare case of balloon failure than to insert one that has been pre-inflated.

Indwelling catheter balloons can also be pulled out with sufficient tension on the catheter (esp. in women), which is one reason that a catheter securement device should always be used. In addition, in women who have used a catheter long term (say 20 years or more) there is commonly the development of a "patulous" (stretched out) urethra. This can be avoided by going with a SP indwelling catheter if a woman has determined to use indwelling catheters for the long term.

(KLD)

Here is some information from about this:

Pre-testing of urinary catheter balloons:

https://prezi.com/l69r_j6rwktg/to-te...oley-catheter/

Pretesting catheter balloons is commonly recommended as a way to prevent insertion of a defective catheter. Some catheter manufacturers no longer recommend pretesting because their balloons are pretested during the manufacturing process. Pretesting silicone balloons is not recommended; the silicone can form a cuff or crease at the balloon area that can cause trauma to the urethra during catheter insertion. - See more at: http://www.o-wm.com/content/indwelli....oySy8Tgt.dpuf
    (KLD)

WOW this is news to me I have been using an all silicone SP cath for 25 years and have always filled/tested the balloon before inserting it. I have never had one come out but will have to rethink our procedure.
    ^^(A)^^

Eeek, darty that makes me flinch! I know there are some nasty ridges on my SP silicone caths once I've removed them. And I make sure to let the balloon deflate itself, and not suck the fluid back out so that it collapses more naturally.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.