Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switched to a Tilite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    Interesting. You say the CF fixed side guards on your new TR3 aren't glossy? The ones, pictured, on my ZR have deep gloss finish.

It's more like matte grey than glossy black, that's for sure

https://flic.kr/p/qL1WGi

Here a side by side with my old one

https://flic.kr/p/q6HRvx

Quote Originally Posted by LynxQC View Post
    Here a side by side with my old one

https://flic.kr/p/q6HRvx
    I see now. My side guards look like the ones off your Top End. That extra gloss layer, no doubt, makes them thicker and stiffer (and I think nicer looking--some people do like the raw CF look). With out it, the CF is much more flexible. Even if the coated and uncoated CF were the same thickness, it would be more flexible without the coating. I'm sure TiLite uses this uncoated CF precisely because it is more flexible. Any material would have to distort to conform to the differences between backrest and frame, especially with taper, when attached by screws or bolts. Thicker, stiffer material would be more prone toward cracking. Personally, I do think the coated CF is quite able to handle the stress from this amount of curvature, as long as it isn't too thick. The clear coat is probably some kind of polymer. It would probably eventually hold this shape, even when removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    I see now. My side guards look like the ones off your Top End. That extra gloss layer, no doubt, makes them thicker and stiffer (and I think nicer looking--some people do like the raw CF look). With out it, the CF is much more flexible. Even if the coated and uncoated CF were the same thickness, it would be more flexible without the coating. I'm sure TiLite uses this uncoated CF precisely because it is more flexible. Any material would have to distort to conform to the differences between backrest and frame, especially with taper, when attached by screws or bolts. Thicker, stiffer material would be more prone toward cracking. Personally, I do think the coated CF is quite able to handle the stress from this amount of curvature, as long as it isn't too thick. The clear coat is probably some kind of polymer. It would probably eventually hold this shape, even when removed.
    You're right, the thickness is the same, the coating make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LynxQC View Post
    You're right, the thickness is the same, the coating make the difference.
    Few months ago TiLite changed supplier for CF, now all CF parts are matte finish