Thread: Injured rib cartilage for over a year

Injured rib cartilage for over a year

A little over a year ago I was working out and dislocated a rib. The rib is back in place but the cartilage is very irritated and extremely painful. I'm becoming less active as it hurts to do just about anything including the most basic daily routine. I've seen several drs and have been going to PT for several months. I've had no relief. Two weeks ago I received an intercostal nerve block that seems to have only made it worse. Does anyone have any similar experiences or recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Brian

I have absolutely no knowledge of cartilage but just wondering if anyone recommended a binder or lightweight corset to help control the area while it, hopefully, heals. Can cartilage heal? I have had some joint injuries take 1 to 3 years to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    I have absolutely no knowledge of cartilage but just wondering if anyone recommended a binder or lightweight corset to help control the area while it, hopefully, heals. Can cartilage heal? I have had some joint injuries take 1 to 3 years to heal.
    Yes my PT recommend wearing one a couple months back. I've been wearing one since but haven't noticed any improvement. Cartilage can heal but usually takes a long time. I'm t4/5 and don't have any core muscles so I believe that's also preventing the area from healing.