Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of solid seat pan materials?

Comparison of solid seat pan materials?

Aluminum, CF, or just an ABS cushion insert?

I'm about to order a manual chair with a 7" ergo seat frame. I currently use an aluminum pan, which I have bent to ergo shape then side notched to fit down between the non-ergo frame. I find no off-the-shelf solid ergo seat pans on the market (anybody know of one?), so I presume I'll need to fashion one myself (again). The ABS cushion inserts (like this one) are inexpensive.

How does ABS holdup/perform as a solid pan?

I'm sure I can make it work (the bend may even make it stronger), but just how does it compare compare to Al or CF.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 02-01-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I always want to try the PVC material on my KAFO, it looks like more comfortable than aluminum seat pan.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

The seat pan does not have to be a single piece, you can use 1 or more strips so no need to bend anything. This thread and this one might be give you some inspiration.

I was going to recommend the exact same thread. I think the CF strips ala Toto would work well.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The seat pan does not have to be a single piece, you can use 1 or more strips so no need to bend anything. This thread and this one might be give you some inspiration.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    ... The ABS cushion inserts (like this one) are inexpensive. How does ABS holdup/perform as a solid pan? ...
    As an insert, is it meant to be a pan?
    Are you sure it is ABS? ABS is a great plastic, much better than pvc and others. But it is not cf, however cf is expensive and what you could do is use two or more layers. As you know ABS can be bent using heat, it's used in 3D printers and DWV, Lego, great stuff.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I'm very aware of that CF pan thread, but I'm cheap. Why buy CF if ABS works? One can buy a lot of ABS for what one CF pan costs. (Even though it'll cost me nothing out of pocket, I'm still a tax payer.) I don't mind bending; strips of ABS would be weak; bending a sheet of ABS carefully with a straight edge and heat might actually make it less subject to bending.

My very first chair experience was a borrowed Quickie folder. It's cushion had a black plastic insert (ABS I presumed), which is why I asked for my own first chair to have a solid pan. (That was back when I was a brand newbie.) I told VA that an insert would be fine, but they ordered me an aluminum pan. Now the time has come to make detailed decisions again, and I'm just wondering why plastic seat pans are not available, but plastic cushion inserts are; do they not do the same thing? And would not Velcro attachments work as well on a plastic pan as a CF or aluminum pan? If a plastic cushion insert works fine on a folding chair, will it not also work fine on a rigid?

I've learned the devil is in the details, so I was asking - I don't know what I don't know.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I did some online research. The flexural modulous (resistivity to bending) of CF is 10x that of ABS. I suspect the cushions I presumed to be ABS may actually be G10. ABS is way too flexible.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I did some online research. The flexural modulous (resistivity to bending) of CF is 10x that of ABS. I suspect the cushions I presumed to be ABS may actually be G10. ABS is way too flexible.
    bummer
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Is ABS strong enough?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Is ABS strong enough?
    Strong enough how? It won't break, but it will bend unless it's reinforced somehow. IMO fabric seat upholstery will sag much less than a thin ABS sheet. And if you reinforce ABS enough to work, it becomes as pricey as CF but not as nearly as thin. Thus I'm convinced aluminum, G10, and CF are the best choices for a solid seat pan; I just needed to find out why for myself.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 02-02-2015 at 04:44 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>