Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Comparison of solid seat pan materials?

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    I may be confused about the application, since this seems to have morphed from a seat base to sideguards, but I'd strongly discourage consideration of UHMW for a seatbase. UHMW is simply a high molecular weight version of polyethylene (milk jug material). It has good impact and wear resistance. But it is not stiff or strong--it bends easily under load, much more than any of the other materials mentioned in this discussion. It also creeps, bending more and more under a sustained load. You might get away with using it for sideguards. It cuts easily with a saw, knife or wood plane. Sanding it just makes a stringy mess, not at all like harder plastics (Delrin, Lexan and such).

For edging, McMaster Carr has lots of options and most auto supply shops have some, too.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#trim-molding/=vxsd7p
    Thank-you for good info!
    I see from your info you are an engineer and you designed; what kind of engineer and what did you design?
    I'm NOT an engineer, but I've designed and built a lot of stuff since my injury (T12) 20 years ago! (like a MT race car w/hand controls, an accessible 240g fish-tank, a gravel crusher, etc)
    Maybe you're just not quite ready yet?

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Thank-you for good info!
    I see from your info you are an engineer and you designed; what kind of engineer and what did you design?
    I'm NOT an engineer, but I've designed and built a lot of stuff since my injury (T12) 20 years ago! (like a MT race car w/hand controls, an accessible 240g fish-tank, a gravel crusher, etc)
    Maybe you're just not quite ready yet?
    I had a long and rewarding career as a mechanical engineer with various levels of corporate mgmt toward the end. Retired at age 54 in 2007 and broke my neck 3.5 years later. I'm not sure what you mean by not ready, but I'm sure not ready to go back to work. I did a little consulting both before and after my accident but didn't find it very interesting. I've had some volunteer roles with college students that I enjoyed a lot.

endo_aftermath, what was your specialty? I am retired mechengr, too - HVAC, plbg, & FP.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    I had a long and rewarding career as a mechanical engineer with various levels of corporate mgmt toward the end. Retired at age 54 in 2007 and broke my neck 3.5 years later. I'm not sure what you mean by not ready, but I'm sure not ready to go back to work. I did a little consulting both before and after my accident but didn't find it very interesting. I've had some volunteer roles with college students that I enjoyed a lot.
    I had checked your info and you put this there: "Now, surviving. Before, sailing, biking, design & build"
    I figured, if your recovery was anything like mine, you would rediscover your bliss after about five years.
    I was injured (T12) in 95, but it wasn't until 2000 that I really took my power back and accepted my situation. Then the projects came, along with much satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I had checked your info and you put this there: "Now, surviving. Before, sailing, biking, design & build"
    I figured, if your recovery was anything like mine, you would rediscover your bliss after about five years.
    I was injured (T12) in 95, but it wasn't until 2000 that I really took my power back and accepted my situation. Then the projects came, along with much satisfaction.
    You're right. I joined CC and wrote that profile early in my second year post-injury. At that time life was therapy, targeted strength building and just figuring out tricks and techniques to get through daily living. Soon after that, still in my second year, I started to get a life back with outings for sailing, SCUBA, hang gliding and just getting out to enjoy life on wheels. I'm still missing most of my hands-on projects. With a C7 level of hand function, I mostly let my tools (especially power tools) sit idle. I do get some vicarious enjoyment out of thinking up home projects that my wonderful brother helps me with.

I'll update my profile to better represent life now that I'm over the hump.