Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel troubles....

Unhappy Bowel troubles....

I have worked with SCI patients for 15 years and it's a most fun rewarding job! I have learned more about people and myself than I ever thought possible. I hate the term handicap I dubbed the term handicapable. Seems every sci has their own bowel program that works for them. However in my time I've seen some bowel programs work smoothly perfectly everything without fail for what seems like forever then all of a sudden things slow down or stop working.... No changes to diet medication, fluid intake or exercise, dose this happen to anyone else or am I just imagining this? Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to handle this when it happens or what works best for them. I would be most greatful!!!

When you figure this out, please let the rest of us know!! We are dealing with this now. My son is almost 11 years post and we have certainly had our ups and downs. The last few years were going pretty good and then all of a sudden:
    S L O W bowels! Very frustrating!

The recommendations I would suggest depend on level of SCI. I had patient once who had no difficulty with bowel program as long as he took the medication sertraline. He had one of the side effects of this medication of looser stools. I didn't affect him as loose stool just a regular bowel movement. It all depends on how the spinal cord was damaged and what level.

pbr

I'm also ran into this problem last month. Literally overnight things stop working. Up to that point I used a magic bullet daily and that worked very well. I tried a new batch of MB's but that didn't help. Then I tried switching to Enemeez with no luck. An xray showed no blockage but the bowel is not empty either.
    For now I'm taking Miralax each night and then spending 1.5 hrs on the commode bent over trying to squeeze whatever I can out. After 9 years of very few problems now I'm dealing with several accidents a week. This has also affect my diet since I always feel full and bloated which is causing weight loss. The Doctor's I've seen have nothing to offer.
    Is it possible that peristalsis just stops overnight?
    I'm not sure what is causing this but Miralax and extra fiber are the only things that are keeping thing limping along but it's not a good solution.
    Sorry for highjacking your thread Tboz

I'm having the same issues. I was injured in 2009 with a sci, it was c-6/ c-7. My bowels were fine for years then suddenly over a year ago they started acting up. I started not going on some days then on those days I would end up having an accident later in the day. I tried everything then it got so bad I went back into rehab at TIRR memorial Herman in Houston to see if they could help. Well it helped for a little while and they got me on a bowel program basically just increasing my senna and moving my program everyday. Well when I got home I wanted to switch my program to every other day because it's so much easier on me and I need days where I'm free and can go to appointments. So now my bowel program consists of collace twice a day (morning and night), 2 collace the night before my program (instead of 1), 4 regular strength senna the night before my program and on the morning of a magic bullet. I also do 2 digital stimulation because when I do go I normally go all at once at the beginning and the stimulation are just to make sure it had already came out fully.

Does anyone find it odd that this is this members 1st post on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tboz View Post
    I have worked with SCI patients for 15 years and it's a most fun rewarding job! I have learned more about people and myself than I ever thought possible. I hate the term handicap I dubbed the term handicapable. Seems every sci has their own bowel program that works for them. However in my time I've seen some bowel programs work smoothly perfectly everything without fail for what seems like forever then all of a sudden things slow down or stop working.... No changes to diet medication, fluid intake or exercise, dose this happen to anyone else or am I just imagining this? Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to handle this when it happens or what works best for them. I would be most greatful!!!
    ^^(A)^^

I think you should do your program every day or try Enemeez instead of the Magic bullet!

CWO

It's just not feasible for me to do it everyday. I'm not a big eater because I'm constantly nauseous due to my many medications and I already have severe rectal pain plus the addition of internal hemmoroids. Would citrucel be a good addition to my bowel care regimen?

Blog Entries
    Erin, the Enemeez Plus might make your life easier. It is not so hard on your bowels and has Benzocaine to anesthetize the pain.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

You can go to the Enemeez website and ask them to send you samples of Enemeez PLUS. I had a patient who has terrible rectal pain. He swears the Enemeez Plus is much better tan the magic bullet with lidocaine get! And it can work faster and empty you out better. Sometimes you just need a change!They havea generic also! www.enemeez.com.

cWO