Thread: Brain Injury Car Accident

Brain Injury Car Accident

I had a car accident back in October last year, and had a traumatic brain injury. Since then I went to a rehabilitation center for 9 days, was doing very well and was discharged to do rehab outpatient. In three weeks I was doing very well and was also discharged from that. I have all my memory, speech, and I am exactly the same as I was before my accident. What would be the severity of my brain injury? None of the doctors have really told me and I'm doing very well and I was cleared to go back to my electrical job 2 1/2 months after my injury.
    I was just wondering what everyone's opinion of what the severity of it could be.

Ask someone close to you. I had non-traumatic brain injury, and I think/thought my cognition was just fine. But my wife can tell I'm not the same as I was. I asked her for examples; she has plenty. It sucks, but I have lapses that I don't even recognize.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking user.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I'm curious why you are asking. My son had a tbi, nearly killed him, obvious life changes, but he charged forward even before he had complete clearances.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Here is one TBI severity scale that is commonly used: Source

Mild, Moderate, and Severe TBI

Traumatic Brain Injury severity is commonly described as Mild, Moderate, or Severe. Injury severity is traditionally based on duration of loss of consciousness and/or coma rating scale or score, post-traumatic amnesia (PTA), and brain imaging results. Mild, Moderate, and Severe TBI may be characterized as follows:

• Mild TBI
      • Brief loss of consciousness, usually a few seconds or minutes
      • PTA for less than 1 hour of the TBI
      • Normal brain imaging results

• Moderate TBI
      • Loss of consciousness for 1 – 24 hours
      • PTA for 1 – 24 hours of the TBI
      • Abnormal brain imaging results

• Severe TBI
      • Loss of consciousness or coma for more than 24 hours
      • PTA for more than 24 hours of the TBI
      • Abnormal brain imaging results

Severe TBI may be further sub-categorized as follows:

1. Coma- a state of unconsciousness from which the individual cannot be awakened
    2. Vegetative State- a state in which an individual is not in a coma (i.e. awakes) but is not aware of the environment
    3. Persistent Vegetative State- a Vegetative State that has lasted for more than a month
    4. Minimally Responsive State- a state in which a person with a severe TBI is no longer in a coma or vegetative state and inconsistently interacts with/responds to the environment.

(KLD)

Ok thanks that definitely helps. I took a Neuropsych evaluation 3 months after my accident and I tested excellent in everything. The psychologist said I tested into the right range for my age group and that my brain functions normal. My brain injury was severe due to their coma scale, even though technically I was never in an actual coma, but a medically induced one. Usually anyone with a severe brain injury isn't cleared to go back to so soon or to eval normal so soon.

peter, Daniel...I had TBI along with spine and tons of internal bleeding. Was in coma almost 6 months. Good things are going well. I think he sooner all response returns is better. Longer that goes, many things become extreme complicated. I could write a book for being in hospitals 5 years. Once again, good things are going good. Make sure keep at that and be very aware.

I'm curious why you're asking. My son had a tbi, nearly killed him, obvious life changes, however he charged forward even before he had complete clearances.