Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New schwalbe rubber for Spox wheels needed

New schwalbe rubber for Spox wheels needed

As i checked my tires the other day i noticed my schwalbe marathon plus rubber got kinda old (last time i had mine replaced was more then 2.5 years ago do to a flat at home wonder how i that happened i wasn't even in the chair at the time ) so it has been quite some time time. Since that set of wheels is only used at home (rolling on carpet) i thought i didn't need a new pair of marathon pluses instead i thought i go with something like the schwalbe one or such. What tire should i get for home use schwalbe one, Airborne,Speedair or Rightrun what are the pros and cons of each one? and even that set runs 99% at the time at home if i ever decide to take them outdoors which one could be good for outdoor use in dry conditions as well? (Note: i need to got down quite a few steps 30+ and i think a little tread on the tires is needed to get good traction on the stairs).
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

No one? Looks like it doesn't matter which one i choose
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

I can only speak for the right runs. There is not a ton of tread on them, but they have served my husband and I well. We have been able to do anything we want to do with these without incident. The only issues I have had is with the tube and rim tape of my wheel...not my tires. I love the high PSI because it makes my ride nicer (for me). I am overall happy with them.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Forty two years of wheeling and many tire changes later, I found the Right Runs are the best for me. They are inexpensive, easy on the hands, high pressure and last a long time. I use the Marathon Evolutions on my handcycle (559) wheels. I tried the Marathon Plus but found them heavy, hard to put on the rim and terrible for my hands. I wheel using the heel of the hand on top of the tire with tips of fingers around the push rim; which is a close mounted.

@Wheeliecoach & @patrick thank you for your suggestions. What about stairs? if i for whatever reason have to use the Right Runs for outdoor use do they provide enough traction to go safely down the stairs (they are slippery at times). But again they would stay at home 99% of the time anyway.
    The right runs would definitely be an options since they would not destroy the carpet.

@Patrick About the hands. Thats not an issue for me i use motorcycle gloves outdoors to protect my hands from dirt.
    i haven't had the chance to try the Evolution tires because they don't sell them in germany so i can't tell.Yes they are not easy to install, i go to the shop and let them do it i could try to do it myself but i won't take any risks.

I honestly cannot say about stairs. My husband gets carried up over the stairs when we visit family with stairs and I get myself out of my chair and crawl up them (my hip flexors work still). Sorry cannot help there!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I honestly cannot say about stairs. My husband gets carried up over the stairs when we visit family with stairs and I get myself out of my chair and crawl up them (my hip flexors work still). Sorry cannot help there!
    No problem! i probably stick with the marathon plus evo's anyway just because i always had them.

Sorry it took so song to reply.

Good luck finding the Marathon plus evo's hs 348 they have been discontinued by Schwable. they have been replaced with the marathon plus evolutions hs440's. However schwables shipment hasn't arrived from overseas yet. You will be lucky to find stock on those. Like Wheelie said the right run is also a good tire.

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Good luck finding the Marathon plus evo's hs 348 they have been discontinued by Schwable. they have been replaced with the marathon plus evolutions hs440's. However schwables shipment hasn't arrived from overseas yet. You will be lucky to find stock on those. Like Wheelie said the right run is also a good tire.
    i take them to the medical store they will take Care of it.

Hey! I had nearly exact same nonsense other day. I am only inside on the crazy things - wood and tile floor. Sometimes on garage concrete floor. Had the crazy flat. Abut 189 degrees from tube stem. I thought something wrong with stem. When IU had tire take off there were the 2 holes in the tube. Crazy tires were just changed with new few weeks ago. Still no idea how holes ended up in the tube.