Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bionx for handcycle

Bionx for handcycle

Thinking of adding this to my bike..my kids and I ride a lot...I believe this would help our ride out and make it more enjoyable..any feed back would help..
    Louie Gonzalez
    C6 C7

we use bionx on our QE builds as a level 4, I do a good amount of them.. works out well. be sure to have installed by a shop that is a bionx dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie0611 View Post
    Thinking of adding this to my bike..my kids and I ride a lot...I believe this would help our ride out and make it more enjoyable..any feed back would help..
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks John..
    Louie Gonzalez
    C6 C7

Bionix is good but has it's limitations unless you carry a spare manual front wheel.. I use Mark Brertons Roadrace Powerpod. It attaches to the rear of the bike rather than being part of the front wheel. The beauty of the Powerpod is you can get on trails and go places a Bionix can't do. With the PP you are not only being pushed by it you are also using the front wheel to pull, almost like a four wheeler except bike style.. With a Bionix it's all pull which can dig in in softer areas. Also I like the PP in that in a matter of seconds I can be in full manual mode with no added weight of a motorized front Bionix front wheel.

Riding a Bionix in manual mode is different with steering, especially turning at a slower pace because of the added poundage to the front wheel. I can use my PP to go where I want to go, disconnect and be in full manual race mode if desired. With a Bionix it's using it in power mode or if it's shut off you are basically adding thirty pounds, or whatever it weights, to the front of the bike adding more stress when turning. http://roadracepowerpod.com/pricing--contact.html

I've been using mine for 3 1/2 years now and love the versatility of being either in manual or power in a matter of seconds.

Have you ever ridden w/ a BionX setup, Patrick?

The weight of the motor is negligible for recreational use. The noticeable weight is in the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post

The weight of the motor is negligible for recreational use. The noticeable weight is in the battery.
    From: http://www.nycewheels.com/bionx-elec...it-review.html

Breakdown of BionX battery vs. weight:

• 24V 8 Ah NiMH - 9lbs
    • 36V 8 Ah NiMH - 14lbs
    • 24V 9.6 Ah Li-ion - 6.3lbs
    • 36V 9.6 Ah Li-ion - 8.2lbs

The next factor which affects overall weight is the BionX motor. These motors are incredibly light for how powerful they are. BionX motors come in 3 levels of power: 250 watt, 350 watt, and 500 watt. Each is significantly more powerful than the last, but only slightly heavier.
    Breakdown of BionX motor vs. weight:

• 250 Watt - 7.7lbs
    • 350 Watt - 9 lbs
    • 500 Watt - 11 lbs
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post

I have Scott. A friend had a setup on his Top End Gold years ago. There is a big difference in feel being pulled rather than pushed with power. I'm not putting down a Bionix at all; It's a great setup that allows a lot of people who otherwise would not be riding. For myself, I prefer the PowerPod for reasons I've already explained.

Looking at the watts and weight Nonoise posted, it looks like the Bionix has really made it lighter than it used to be. I trust that would make a difference. Still and added 11 lbs. to a front wheel does make a difference to me.

I always use the 350 for my Quad Elite builds. more power than most will use but there if needed. that 500w is crazy, dam that would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    From: http://www.nycewheels.com/bionx-elec...it-review.html

Breakdown of BionX battery vs. weight:

• 24V 8 Ah NiMH - 9lbs
    • 36V 8 Ah NiMH - 14lbs
    • 24V 9.6 Ah Li-ion - 6.3lbs
    • 36V 9.6 Ah Li-ion - 8.2lbs

The next factor which affects overall weight is the BionX motor. These motors are incredibly light for how powerful they are. BionX motors come in 3 levels of power: 250 watt, 350 watt, and 500 watt. Each is significantly more powerful than the last, but only slightly heavier.
    Breakdown of BionX motor vs. weight:

• 250 Watt - 7.7lbs
    • 350 Watt - 9 lbs
    • 500 Watt - 11 lbs
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I've got a 500 with an added battery 48vlt 16ah John; according to Marc it makes it a 1000watt.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I've got a 500 with an added battery 48vlt 16ah John; according to Marc it makes it a 1000watt.
    500 watts and 48 volts is what I run on my trike with 35 amp controller. I really need a better trike for the power, steering gets tricky.
    BTW, I weighed my old Bionx 350 motor, first version I suppose it is. It's eleven pounds, so they have gotten lighter.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.