Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordering wheelchair online.

just be sure the company you use online are all in chairs, that peer to peer support is key. I spec and order chairs for customers all over the world. I've also been in a chair for 28 yrs............. comes down to taking the time with each person. best of luck.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have ordered wheelchairs and a handcycle online, with great success. I also ordered a chair locally from a pharmacy/equipment supplier who knew nothing about ultralight wheelchairs or SCIs. That was also successful; although, I would have made some different choices now, looking back on that purchase. All these were years after my first chair, which was ordered with help from a PT at the hospital.

Like others have said, it is most wise to order an adjustable chair for your first. Unless you have some special needs or unusual requirements for a wheelchair, any decent chair will do. You can take your own measurements. It's really not that hard to get your own seat measurements right (width and depth), even the first time. But don't expect the other measurements to be perfect. You will probably not be satisfied with them after a time and want to change things. And you really don't know how your body will change, over time, after you start spending most of your time in a wheelchair (weight gain or loss, muscle atrophy, shrinking tendons, discomfort, etc.) The chair you start out with may be nothing like the chair you'll need in 5, 10, or 20 years. (MS will probably exaggerate this.)

You might want to think about getting an ultralight demo chair, if you can, locally. It's a great way to experiment with what you like. Of course, it's not nice to stiff the local DME that supplies one to you (purchasing the same thing then online). However, if you're paying out of pocket, money is tight and you're feeling adventurous, you can buy a used demo or even a new chair from TiLite on eBay. Ki Mobility also sells chairs this way, some new. Though I don't know much about Ki. You could even buy a used chair from a private owner, if you're really feeling crazy, and experiment with that. Of course that requires waiting for the right one to be offered. TiLite does have some good chairs on eBay from time to time. I recently bought a new ZR with lots of extras like folding carbon fiber side-guards, natural fit handrims, suspension forks, and Spinergy wheels for $1200. It really was new.

From a guy in Florida, the poor man's Hawaii.

I'm going to have to say ICON also with no prior chair experience. Most impressive how that thing works

Blog Entries
    I would recommend the Icon also. I have been in a chair for almost 22 years, and it is far and away the best chair I have used. the only thing I would warn against is to make sure you get the wid front wing if you cannot keep your knees together. My left leg wants to list about 10 degrees to the left, and I have added a pad to keep my leg from leaning against the wing.

Icon has by far the best customer service I have encountered from any wheelchair manufacturer.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Donno, Icon has discontinued the pediatric/narrow wing, so the previous wide wing (which was standard) is default. They are coming out with (I don't think they have released it yet, but I may have missed it) an extra wide wing. I assume you are referring to the standard wing over the now discontinued pediatric/narrow wing, and not the extra wide?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

FYI, the discontinued "narrow" wing is the same width as the standard wing. The rearward taper is what changed, providing more usable depth.

@Kona We have a customer who lives in Hawaii that might be willing to let you take a look at her Icon so that you can see one in person, but she's in Honolulu.....I could also do a Skype call with you to show you what it does and how it does it if you want.

Thanks to everyone for such kind words - very much appreciated.

We have a wider front end that's on the way - it's been an incredibly long process, partly because we had to remake the tooling for it twice. It will be 3" wider than our current one, and a couple inches deeper. We should have samples in, hopefully in 4-6 weeks, and after testing, we'll kick off a production run.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    FYI, the discontinued "narrow" wing is the same width as the standard wing. The rearward taper is what changed, providing more usable depth.
    I thought the discontinued narrow was the original wing that came out that was too narrow for most people, hence being called pediatric? I'm trying to remember the measurements on the order form. I know what you're talking about with the change in the shape, but I didn't think the actual width changed when they did that, but rather the shape of the standard wing. Jeff, can you clarify?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Both the original and the current front wing have a footrest that is 10 1/2" inside to inside. The current wing has more space going back to from the front - essentially a bigger envelope for legs to be in. The original wing kind of "wedged" backwards - it was a nice line and aesthetic, but not a great shape or size.

I'm traveling right now, but there is a photo on here somewhere of one overlaid on the other.

Why were they referred to as narrow and wide when the depth was changed and not the width? Thats obviously my confusion here. I've seen the picture of them overlaid and I could have sworn there was a difference in width and not depth alone.