Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battery for van

If the ramp is completely inop, perhaps when the battery was changed there was an extra wire tagged on the positive terminal (to supply the lift) that was left off?

I'm not sure what year or model your van is but I have had variations of the ramp issues with my 06 Sienna. Usually they start with the battery getting too low and the ramp controller getting out of phase. Basically not being where it thinks it should be. A couple things to try are first resetting the system. Get everything closed with the kneel up and pull the terminals off the battery for a bit. This has worked in the past. If not the other problems i have had were all due to broken wires in the schlep harness. On my van this gets bent and pulled every time the door opens and closes and the wires just fatigue. I have soldered them to fix it but if it's old enough for this to be happening it will keep happening. they are pretty proud of that harness (expensive) but it's a pretty mission critical part.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

The voltage numbers stayed the same. When the engine wasn't running, it did go down to 12.9. I have no idea if there is a fuse or not.

9000ft, that is exactly what is happening. I'm not sure about how to disconnect the battery. My brother will be here on Tuesday. I'll ask him to do that for me. This is interesting, a friend told me that there is a reset button somewhere. I never thought that disconnecting the battery is virtually the same thing a a reset button.

I'm planning on getting my van in the garage next week. They will probably need it over night. I let everyone know.

I still can't figure out why the battery keeps discharging. That is, why I keep having to jump start it if it sits for more than a day. This never happened before. I have a lot of ideas now, which is great for when it is brought in. This site is very helpful. I am so glad to have found it some years ago.

If it's discharging over night where it needs a boost to start, it's more than likely the alternator, bad diode.

I was finally able to get to the dealership yesterday. We have had so much snow lately it has been difficult to get out. Anyway, they performed a draw test and found that there is a draw coming from the remote starter. I like the remote start for warming up the van when I came out of stores etc. Removing it would have been costly ($100 an hour). So I opted to keep it and added the priority start to the battery instead. I hope I made the right decision there.

The problem with the ramp was with the harness assembly. There were wires within the assembly that evidently snapped. They were able to solder them back together as a temporary fix, until the new harness comes in next week.

So all in all, it was a much better diagnosis than I thought it would be. I am glad it didn't have anything to do with the kneeling system. It was still very expensive to fix though. I hope this one lasts for a while.

Thank you very much everybody!

A remote starter kit of any kind will necessarily put a load on the battery 24/7; it must continually receive signals from the remote and so the receiver will always be powered, however the draw will be a low one (<100uA) unless there is a problem with the unit.

EDIT: so either it's OK/normal and doesn't need to be disconnected to keep the battery alive for several days (week?) of not being run on-
    or
    It is the problem.

The answer would be in the details (what specific parasitic loss it was causing in mAs)
    Last edited by pfcs49; 02-12-2015 at 05:10 PM.

I don't know how many times that the priority start has saved my butt. Good luck and I hope that you have solved your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post

The answer would be in the details (what specific parasitic loss it was causing in mAs)
    They never told me the actual numbers. They just told me that it was the remote start. The mechanic compared the draw to being the same as leaving my headlights on.

Quote Originally Posted by Prerun View Post
    I don't know how many times that the priority start has saved my butt. Good luck and I hope that you have solved your problems.
    The mechanic seemed impressed that I knew about the priority start. LOL, If it weren't for you I wouldn't have had a clue. Evidently they use them regularly on some vehicles there. He seemed to think it would work. I have to reset my clock from time to time, but I don't mind that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    They never told me the actual numbers. They just told me that it was the remote start. The mechanic compared the draw to being the same as leaving my headlights on.
    OK-that would be a very high parasitic draw! 5-8A (5,000-8,000mA!) That's a lot of load and a lot of heat. Still sounds a little screwy how it could consume that much current although the lower end of that range might pass through the starter solenoid without tripping it. (which is a path it takes when it starts the car)

In any case, good to see it handled!